Matsuura Kyushu power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Japan and coal.|
The Matsuura Kyushu power station is a 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan. Another 1,000 MW unit has been proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is located in Matsuura City, Japan.
Background on Plant
The Matsuura power station is a single-unit 700 MW coal-fired power station owned by Kyushu Electric Power Company. The unit went into operation in 1989 and construction on a second unit began in 2001, with an expected completion date of 2005. Waning demand for electricity pushed the start date back to 2011, but construction was suspended in 2004.
Description of Expansion
The Kyushu Electric Power Company is building a new 1,000 megawatt coal-fired unit at the power station. In its 2013 planning document the company does not indicate when construction is nominally intended to begin but states that it would be commissioned in 2023 "or later". The power station was permitted in 2014.
In March 2014 Kyushu Electric Power Co. said it would begin construction on the second unit at the Matsuura Thermal Power Station once a bid was selected, with a planned commissioning of June 2020. The bid was selected in February 2015 and the power station is under construction.
According to Kyushu Electric in 2016, construction is ahead of schedule and may be completed in December 2019.
Project Details of expansion
- Sponsor: Kyushu Electric Power Company
- Parent Company: Kyushu Electric Power Company
- Location: Matsuura City, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
- Coordinates: 33.3552, 129.6925 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 1,000 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2019
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Kyuden Resumes Power Plant Construction in Nagasaki," Fukuoka now, Mar. 31, 2014.
- "Matsura Japan," Jpower, accessed Jan 2014.
- Kyushu Electric Power Company, "Outline of Supply Plan for FY2013", March 2013, page 1.
- "Outline of Supply Plan for FY2014," Kyushu Electric Power Company, March 2014
- "火力電源入札の落札者決定について," 九州電力株式会社, Feb 16, 2015
- "松浦発電所2号機／九州電力／長崎県松浦市," Kiko Network, accessed May 2017