Michael Scheuer was a CIA employee for 22 years, whose duties included being head of the Osama bin Laden unit, from its inception in 1996 until 1999. He also authored two books anonymously, until being identified by the media in the summer of 2004.
Scheuer quit the CIA in late 2004, and has been on many news programs offering his analysis that at times seem contradictory, as does his claim of being a lifelong Republican because he is a strict constitutional constructionist . Despite this he ardently advocates intense covert intelligence operations in the war on Terror, and assents to the practice of renditons. 
One of the reasons for his leaving was that Porter Goss, the GW Bush appointee who replaced George J. Tenet as CIA head, sent out a memo just after the November 2004 elections stating that the CIA's job was to support the president, which caused consternation within the agency. 
Scheuer's view that the current conditions have been spawned by the policies of five different presidents isn't a resounding cheer for Republicans either:
In a book review of "Imperial Hubris", the Boston Phoneix stated,
- "While much of Imperial Hubris isn’t necessarily polemical, it does lead to a provocative conclusion. One thrust of the book is that at least three decades of US foreign policy fed what has become an intractable worldwide defensive Islamist insurgency, whose violent strain is performing what it considers a jihad in defense of Islam"
Jason Vest, "The secret history of Anonymous: The author of Imperial Hubris is unmasked and says he fears for his job at the CIA, not for his life at the hands of Al Qaeda", The Boston Phoenix, July 2, 2004
Publications by Scheuer
- "Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America (2003)", Potomac Books, February 1, 2003, ISBN 1574885537
- "Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror (2004 book)", Brassey's Inc, August 2004, ISBN 1574888498
Antiwar dot com
- Throwing America a Life Preserver"
- God, Drunks, and America"
- A Fire Bell in the Night for the West?"
- Put the Marx Brothers in Charge"
- Deliberately Destroying America's Soul"
- Sandy Berger's Scissors"
- Toward a Sensible Israel Policy"
- Accountability: Why Not Start at the Top?"
Jamestown Foundation publications
- Deporting Radical Imams: A Viable Strategy to Combat Attacks Against the West?
- Assessing London and Sharm al-Sheikh: The Role of Internet Intelligence and Urban Warfare Training
- The London Bombings: For al-Qaeda, Steady as She Goes
- The Pious Caliphate Will Start From Afghanistan: Is al-Qaeda's Long-Held Afghan Strategy Now Unfolding?
- Unraveling the Saga of Zarqawi's Injury
- Osama bin Laden on the Demise of the Saudi Regime
- History Chasing Optimism: Afghanistan in Spring, 2005
- Coalition Warfare, Part II: How Zarqawi Fits into Bin Laden's World Front
- Coalition Warfare: How al-Qaeda Uses the World Islamic Front Against Crusaders and Jews, Part I
- Al-Qaeda's Completed Warning Cycle - Ready to attack?
- One unhappy Republican, August 15, 2005
- Jack Shafer, "Who Is Anonymous?: He's Michael Scheuer. But why won't the Times and the Post say so?", Slate, August 13, 2004
- Julian Borger, "We could have stopped him", The Guardian (UK), August 20, 2004
- "CIA Insider Says Osama Hunt Flawed", CBS News, Sept. 15, 2004
- "Bin Laden Expert Steps Forward", Sixty Minutes, CBS, November 14, 2004
- Julian Borger, "CIA memo urging spies to support Bush provokes furore", The Guardian (UK), November 18, 2004
- David T. Cook, "Michael Scheuer", Christian Science Monitor, November 22, 2004
- Buzzflash Interview, "Michael Scheuer, ex-CIA bin Laden Unit Chief, Explains Why Insurgents Are Willing To Die Fighting Us: Maybe It's Not Our Freedom They Hate", Buzzflash, January 5, 2005
- Michael Sheuer Interview", Frontline, PBS, January 25, 2005
- "CIA Flying Suspects To Torture?", CBS Sixty Minutes, March 6, 2005
- "Exporting Prisoner Abuse", CBS News, March 6, 2005
- "Experts fear 'endless' terror war: Analysts say al-Qaida is mutating into a global insurgency", MSNBC News, July 9, 2005
- Timothy J. Burger, "Opening up the CIA", CNN News, August 8, 2005
- Brian Handwerk, "U.S. Still Unprepared for Al Qaeda Attacks, Expert Says", National Geographic News, August 12, 2005
- Norah O‘Donnell; Interviewer, "Miichael Schuler on Hardball with Chris Matthews", MSNBC, August 18, 2005
- Clinton Lawyers Fretted Over bin Laden's Comfort", Newsmax, Aug. 19, 2005