Mirsarai power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
Mirsarai power station is a proposed 300-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Chittagong district, Bangladesh.
There is also a proposed 150 MW gas fired plant in Mirsarai, sponsored by Bangladesh Power Development Board and Rural Power Company Limited.
The map below shows the location of Mirsarai upazila, Chittagong district, but not the exact location of the proposed power station.
In April 2015, Chittagong Power Company Limited (CPCL), a sister concern of steel re-rolling mill Bangladesh Steel Re-rolling Mills (BSRM), notified the Bangadesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) that it intended to build a 150 MW merchant coal plant at Mirsarai and to supply 20 percent of the power from the plant to the grid. The company will also set up a substation to supply electricity from the project to the national grid. The company has obtained a license to produce and sell power from the plant to private-sector clients, according to BERC. The company plans to also build a second 150 MW plant at a later time.
In May 2017 it was reported that Star Infrastructure Development and Kunming Iron and Steel Company will jointly set up a steel plant with an annual production capacity of two million tonnes in Mirsarai economic zone of Chittagong, with Bangladesh Steel Re-rolling Mills (BSRM) playing a key role in implementation of the project. The project includes a 167 MW coal plant. However, in March 2018 it was reported the 167 MW plant will be either liquid fuel or natural gas.
In March 2018 the Bangladesh Post reported there was no visible progress on the coal plant project."
- Sponsor: Bangladesh Steel Re-rolling Mills (BSRM)
- Parent company: Chittagong Power Company Limited (CPCL)
- Location: Mirsarai upazila, Chittagong district,
- Coordinates: 22.771667, 91.575 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 300 MW (Units 1&2: 150 MW)
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "PowerPac wins bid to develop Mirsarai Economic Zone," Dhaka Tribune, March 22, 2017
- "BSRM to Install 150MW Merchant Project in Ctg," Energy & Power, accessed May 2016
- M Azizur Rahman, "BSRM gets first merchant power plant license," Financial Express, 25 May, 2015
- "Star consortium, China’s KISC to build steel manufacturing plant: BIDA," New Age, May 18, 2017
- "MAN Energy Solutions Secures Orders for Plants in Bangladesh," PowerMag, 08/03/2018
- "No progress in 19 power plants yet," The Bangladesh Post, March 9, 2018