|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Misamis Oriental power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of the The Philippines and coal|
Misamis Oriental power station is a 405-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Misamis Oriental Province, the Philippines.
The map below shows the plant, in Villanueva Municipality, Misamis Oriental Province.
Background on Plant
FDC Misamis Power Corp., a subsidiary of developer Filinvest, stated in 2013 that it was developing a three-unit coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 405 MW in Misamis Oriental Province. The 405-MW power plant will consist of three units with a capacity of 135 MW each. FDC Misamis said the electricity generated by the first two units of the power plant will be bought by 17 electric cooperatives that serve Misamis Oriental, and other parts of Mindanao. The project is slated to cost P30 billion, or about $700 million.
Environmental permits for the project were granted in May 2013. In October 2013, Filinvest awarded the engineering, procurement, & construction (EPC) contract to First Northeast Electric Power Engineering Corp., a subsidiary of China Energy Engineering Group. Ground was broken on the construction project in November 2013. The company secured financing for the project from four banks in April 2014.
The plant began operating on September 22, 2016, at a ceremony attended by President Duterte.
- Sponsor: FDC Misamis Power Corp.
- Parent company: Filinvest
- Location: Villanueva Municipality, Misamis Oriental Province, Philippines
- Coordinates: 8.5609664, 124.7477582 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 405 MW (Units 1-3: 135 MW)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- In service: 2016
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Four unnamed banks
Articles and resources
- "Filinvest unit to proceed with coal-fired power plant in Misamis Oriental," Business World Online, November 20, 2013.
- Private Sector Initiated Power Projects (Mindanao), Philippines Department of Energy, 30 Sept. 2014.
- Flores, Alena Mae. Filinvest awards P30-b coal plant deal to Chinese company. Manila Standard Today, 31 Oct. 2013.
- Filinvest breaks ground for 405-MW power plant in Misamis Oriental, FDC Utilities press release, 20 Nov. 2013.
- Filinvest group secures financing for Mindanao coal plant, Rappler, 9 Apr. 2014.
- Camcer Ordonez Imam, "Duterte Leads 405 Megawatt Misamis Power Plant Switch-On," Manila Bulletin, September 23, 2016