Mmamabula Energy Project
The Mmamabula Energy Project is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Mmaphashalala, Botswana.
The map below shows the location of the Mmamabula coal field in Mmaphashalala, Botswana, but not the exact location of the Mmamabula Energy Project.
According to project sponsor Jindal Group, which took over CIC Energy in 2012, the Mmamabula Energy Project (MEP) is a proposed 1200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station and integrated coal mine project in Botswana that is intended to provide power to South Africa.
South Africa had a target date to gazette their Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) by September 2010. This would lay out South Africa's strategy for meeting new energy needs from 2013 onward, assumed to include new government-owned facilities and contracts with private suppliers such as CIC Energy. South Africa said they could not commit to any Power Purchasing Agreement (PPA) with CIC before the IRP was approved. The delay would affect Botswana, which needed a portion of the plant's output to meet projected demand. The IRP was eventually completed in May 2011. It did not include any window for purchase of power from Mmamabula before 2019, and then the amounts purchased would be less than 1200 MW. CIC Energy was forced to put the project on hold after investing over C$100 million.
In April 2015 Jindal said it planned to offload 74 percent of the coal energy and mine project to South Africa’s Glendal Trading. Jindal will remain with a 26% shareholding and will also operate and manage the project. Glendal has formed a South African registered company called Mmamabula Power Plant Development. Jindal, which was granted a mining licence in October last year, plans to set up a 600MW power plant at MEP with the off takers likely to be Eskom.
In April 2017 it was reported that Jindal had shelved initial plans to offload 74% of its company to South Africa’s Glendal Trading.
As of December 2018 there have been no developments on the coal plant.
- Sponsor: Jindal Steel & Power Ltd.
- Parent company: Jindal Group
- Location: Mmaphashalala, Botswana
- Coordinates: -23.609295, 26.774952 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 600 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Mmamabula coalfield
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Mmamabula Energy Project" Jindal Africa, accessed February 18, 2014.
- "Indian firm sets to revive Botswana's biggest coal power project," China.org.cn, April 20, 2013
- See more at: http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?aid=50408#sthash.RTTGmxcA.dpuf "Mmamabula project acquisition gets nod," Mmegi Online, Apr 9, 2015
- "Sese power plant to cost P15bn," Mmegi, June 12, 2015
- "Sese power project granted tax breaks," Mmegi, April 28, 2017