Muzaffargarh sugar mill power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Pakistan and coal.|
Muzaffargarh sugar mill power station is a 120-megawatt (MW) powered plant fueled by coal and sugarcane in Punjab province, Pakistan.
The map below shows the location of the coal plant, located in the Fatima sugar mill, near Sanawan, in Muzaffargarh district, Punjab province.
In 2013 Fatima Group said it made all the arrangements to set up one 120 MW co-generation power plant in Muzaffargarh, adjacent to a sugar mill owned by the group. The plant will utilize waste and husks produced by the sugar mill along with other biomass and imported coal. The project is being developed through a public limited company, Fatima Energy Limited.
The company expected to close the finances for the project by September 30, 2013, and begin commercial operations in 2016. Fatima Energy has selected China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) as the preferred bidder to undertake the project on a turnkey basis. Surplus electricity from the unit would be added to the national grid, with the help of Multan Electric power company.
In December 2015, Fatima Energy applied for a power pricing tariff from the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority. The regulatory document stated that financial close was achieved in May 2014, and that China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation had been selected as engineering, procurement, & construction contractor. The document stated that the construction schedule gave the completion date as August 2016, but that Fatima expected construction to be complete by April 2016.
According to Dawn in October 2016, the plant will begin commercial operation soon. As of April 2017 the plant was operating, as the federal government and Fatima were engaged in a rate dispute over the plant's power; it is unclear exactly when it was completed.
- Sponsor: Fatima Energy
- Parent company: Fatima Group
- Location: Fatima sugar mill, Sanawan, Muzaffargarh district, Punjab province, Pakistan
- Coordinates: 30.29455, 70.96697 (approximate)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 120 MW
- Projected in service: 2016/17
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- " Fatima Group to set up 118MW plant," The News, June 26, 2013
- "Pak, China working on 120 MW power plant in Muzaffargarh," The Nation, July 11, 2015
- Tariff Petition: 120 MW (Gross ISO) Cogeneration Power Project at Sanawan, Tehsil Kot Addu, District Muzaffargarh, Pakistan, Fatima Energy Limited, 2 Dec. 2015.
- "Footprints: Resisting coal power generation," Dawn, Oct 14, 2016
- Govt to contest tariff case filed by Fatima Energy, Express Tribune, 23 Apr. 2017.