National Capital Dadri Thermal Power Plant
National Capital Thermal Power Plant, also referred to as the Dadri power station, is an 1,820-megawatt (MW) coal- and gas-fired power station in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The plant is located at Dadri, in Gautam Budh Nagar District, in Uttar Pradesh.
The plant is operated by National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC). In 2010, two 490 MW units were added to the plant, increasing coal-fired capacity to 1820 MW. In addition, the Dadri facility includes an 817 MW natural-gas combined cycle power plant.
The plant consists of the following existing and planned units:
- Unit I- 210 MW - October 1991
- Unit II- 210 MW - December 1992
- Unit III- 210 MW - March 1993
- Unit IV- 210 MW - March 1994
- Unit V - 490 MW - March 2010
- Unit VI - 490 MW - July 2010
- IGCC demonstration plant - 100 MW - Proposed
- Combined Cycle - 817 MW - 2011
NTPC has proposed adding a 100 MW Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle (IGCC) demonstration plant at the Dadri site. In 2013 it was reported that NTPC was in talks with equipment-maker BHEL to develop the plant as a 50:50 joint venture.
As of May 2016 the project has yet to receive the necessary permits, and plans appear to be deferred or abandoned.
Sponsor: National Thermal Power Corporation
Location: Dadri village, Gautam Budh Nagar district, Uttar Pradesh
Coordinates: 28.603, 77.6078 (exact)
- Stage I: Operating
- Stage II: Operating
- IGCC demonstration plant: Cancelled
- Units I-IV: 840 MW
- Units V-VI: 980 MW
- IGCC demonstration plant: 100 MW
Projected in service:
- Stage I: Operating 2010
Coal Source: Piparwar Mines, Jharkhand
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications:
- Terms of Reference for IGCC demonstration plant, India MoEF, August 11, 2010
- Environmental Clearance for Stage II (Units V and VI), India MoEF, March 5, 2007
Articles and Resources
- "100 MW IGCC Demonstration Project at National Capital Power Station by NTPC Limited," Thermal News, July 1, 2011
- "NCTPP Dadri," NTCP website, accessed January 30, 2012
- "BHEL, NTPC to float 100 MW power joint venture," Hindustan Times, April 9, 2013