Neno power station
Neno power station is a proposed 2,400-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station planned for the Kamwamba area in Zalewa, Malawi.
The map below shows the location of Neno District, Malawi, but not the exact location of the Neno power station.
In July 2016 a consortium of unnamed companies from South Africa and overseas known as Project DoXA signed an MoU with the Malawi government for the construction of a 3 x 800 MW coal plant in Neno District, Kamwamba. The cost is estimated at US$4.2 billion. Coal will be imported from Mozambique.
However, there has been no news or developments since the announcement, and plans appear to be shelved.
- Sponsor: Project DoXA
- Parent company:
- Location: Neno District, Kamwamba, Malawi, Africa
- Coordinates: -16.166667, 35.166667 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 2,400 MW (Units 1-3: 800 MW)
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Moatize, Mozambique
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Consortium to invest $4.2bn in power plant," The Nation Online, Jul 4, 2016
Related SourceWatch articles
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|