Patuakhali power station (RPCL/NORINCO)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
The Patuakhali power station (RPCL/NORINCO) is a proposal for a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Patuakhali district, Bangladesh.
A 1320MW coal-fired power station in Patuakhali has been proposed by three sets of sponsors, all JVs between Bangladeshi and Chinese firms:
- Patuakhali power station (RPCL/NORINCO) - proposed by Rural Power Company Limited (RPCL) and Norinco
- Patuakhali power station (BCPCL) - proposed by Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (a JV between North-West Power Generation and China National Machinery Import and Export Corp)
- Patuakhali power station (Ashuganj) - proposed by Ashuganj Power and China Energy
The map below shows the location of Patuakhali district, but not the exact location of the proposed power station.
In May 2016, Rural Power Company Limited (RPCL) and NORINCO International Cooperation Ltd., a publicly listed subsidiary of China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO), signed a Memo of Understanding for a 1320 MW coal-fired power plant in Patuakhali district. The project would be located at Londa village, where 918 acres of land has been identified. Land acquisition is in progress. The project is targeted for 2022.
In September 2016, the project was reported to be moving forward, with approval from the Power Division. It was described as ultra-supercritical. The project will use 915 acres at Kalapara upazila of Patuakhali. The company has sent a land development proposal to the Planning Commission for approval.
In November 2017 it was reported that a joint venture agreement between Bangladesh's Rural Power Company Limited (RPCL) and Chinese state-owned Norinco International Ltd for construction of a 1320 MW coal plant in Patuakhali had been cleared. The power station is planned for 2022-2023.
The project cost has been estimated at US$2 billion. Of the total investment, the ratio of equity investment will be 30 percent while the remaining 70 percent would come as loans from the Chinese Ex-Im Bank.
- Sponsor: Bangladesh Rural Power-Norinco International Power
- Parent company: Rural Power Company Limited (RPCL, 50%) and NORINCO International Cooperation Ltd., a publicly listed subsidiary of China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO, 50%)
- Location: Londa village, Patuakhali district, Barisal Division
- Coordinates: 22.3542, 90.3181 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 660 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2022-2023
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Chinese Ex-Im Bank
Articles and resources
- "MoU Signing of RPCL Patuakhali 1320 MW Coal Based Power Plant," RPCL announcement, May 9, 2016
- "Patuakhali/ Barguna/ Chittagong 1320 MW Coal Based Thermal Power Plant," RPCL, accessed May 2017
- FHM Humayan Kabir, "RPCL to build 1,320MW coal-fired power plant in Patuakhali," Financial Express, 16 September 2016
- "Bangladesh-China plan 1,320-MW coal-based power plant in Patuakhali," Dhaka Tribune, Nov 5, 2017
- "Cabinet clears JV formation with Chinese firm," New Age, Nov 7, 2017
- "中国港湾 中国电建 中国能建 森源电气等," 蓝箭头, 2018-04-13
- "Work of 1,320 MW coal based power plant begins in Patuakhali," Bangladesh Post, October 14, 2018
- Shamim Jahangir, "1320MW Plant in Patuakhali: Govt to sign JV deal with Chinese firm," Daily Sun, Apr 3, 2017