Payra power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
Payra power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plants in Patuakhali, Bangladesh.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Kalapara, Patuakhali, on the Rabnabad river bank near Paira Bandar.
Background on Kalapara power station
On its website, North-West Power Generation describes the Kalapara project as being set up in two phases. The first phase is referred to as the "Payra 1320 (2x660) MW Thermal Power Plant Project." The second phase is referred to as the "Barguna / Patuakhali 1320 (2x660) MW Ultra Supercritical Coal Based Thermal Power Plant Project (2nd Phase)." Note that Patuakhali and Barguna are adjacent districts and Payra (Paira) is located in close proximity.
Background on Payra power station
In March 2014 the state-owned North-West Power Generation Company (a subsidiary of Bangladesh Power Development Board) and CMC -- China National Machinery Import & Export (Group) Corporation -- signed a Memorandum of Understanding to build a 1320 MW coal plant in Kalapara upazila of Patuakhali. The project will be located on the Rabnabad river bank near Paira Bandar. The estimated cost is $2 billion.
According to the website of Bangladesh's North-West Power Generation Co Ltd. (December 2017), construction on the project is underway.
In March 2018 it was reported that 35 percent of work on the plant had been completed. In May 2018, NWPGCL reported the project was 42% complete. In October 2018 it was reported the plant was on track for commissioning in 2019. In November 2018 the project was reported to be 55% complete.
The project is sponsored by Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL), a 50:50 JV between China National Machinery Import and Export Corp and Bangladesh's North-West Power Generation Co Ltd, which was established on 28 August 2007 as a Public Limited Company under the Bangladesh Power Development Board.
CMC, or China National Machinery Import & Export (Group) Corporation, was established in 1950, and in 1998 it became a subsidiary of China General Technology (Group) Holding Co. Ltd., a state-owned enterprise. CMC has established overseas subsidiaries in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Turkey, and Luxembourg.
In June 2014 it was reported that Bangladesh's largest bilateral donor, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), would bankroll the plant by partially providing nearly US$3.7 billion worth of loans in some few tranches.
However, in October 2014 it was reported that BCPCL will provide 30% of the funds for the project, and mobilize the other 70% from international sources. The project has an estimated cost of US$2 billion.
In April 2016 BCPCL said it will invest $1.56 billion into the plant. It will fund 80 percent of the investment by a loan from Chinese banks.
In October 2016 the government approved a US$1.9 billion from the China Exim Bank for the project.
- Sponsor: Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL)
- Parent company: China National Machinery Import and Export Corp and Bangladesh's North-West Power Generation Co Ltd.
- Location: Rabnabad river bank near Paira Bandar, Kalapara upazila (subdistrict), Dhankhali, Patuakhali district
- Coordinates: 22.001974,90.30821 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 1320 MW (2 x 660 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2019
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Indonesia, China and Australia
- Source of financing: BCPCL, through a loan from China Exim Bank (US$1.9 billion)
- Permits and applications: EIA for 1320 MW Payra coal plant, Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited, Sep 2015
Articles and resources
- "Future Plan," North-West Power Generation Company Limited, accessed September 2015
- FHM Humayan Kabir, "1320mw coal-fired power plant to be set up in Patuakhali", Financial Express, June 29, 2014
- "Faster Rampal plant execution demanded" bdnews24.com, October 13, 2013
- "1,320MW coal-based power plant to be set up in Patuakhali," DhakaTribune, 20 March 2014
- "Ongoing Projects," North-West Power Generation Company Limited, accessed Dec 2017
- "Bangladesh-China JV to construct $1.56 bln power plant in southern Bangladesh," reuters, Mar 30, 2016
- Aminur Rahman Rasel, "Payra coal power plant to be commissioned in 2019," Dhaka Tribune, Oct 12, 2015
- "No progress in 19 power plants yet," The Bangladesh Post, March 9, 2018
- Ongoing projects, NWPGCL, accessed June 2018
- "Payra power plant to begin generation in 2019," New Age, Sep 28, 2018
- Ongoing projects, NWPGCL, updated November 2018
- "Company Overview," China National Machinery Imp. & Exp. Corp. website, accessed May 2014
- "CMC Machipex Sd. Bhd.," China National Machinery Imp. & Exp. Corp. website, accessed May 2014
- "Joint venture to start working for 1,320MW plant ," DhakaTribune, Oct 13, 2014
- "Govt approves $3.5 billion loan for Rampal, Payra power plants," Reporters bd, October 4, 2016