Phulbari Coal Project (Sinohydro)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
The Phulbari Coal Project (Sinohydro) is a proposed 4,000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Rangpur division, Bangladesh.
The map below shows the location of Phulbari Upazila but not the exact location of the proposed plant.
In September 2018 GCM Resources announced that China's Sinohydro Corporation (of Chinese engineering and construction firm PowerChina) will undertake a pre-feasibility study on a proposed 4000 MW Phulbari mine-mouth power plant, in addition to the 2000 MW Phulbari Coal Project (China Gezhouba). The report was released in November 2018 and concluded the proposed Phulbari coal mine could power 6,000 MW of coal plants.
In January 2019 GCM Resources and PowerChina signed a Joint Venture Agreement and EPC Contract for the proposed development of 2,000MW of mine mouth coal fired power plants with an approximate investment of US$4 billion.
- Sponsor: GCM Resources, Sinohydro
- Parent company: GCM Resources, PowerChina
- Location: Phulbari Upazila, Dinajpur district, Rangpur division
- Coordinates: 25.516667, 88.883333 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Gross Capacity: 4000 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Phulbari mine (undeveloped)
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Prefeasibility Study for Further Mine-Mouth Power Plants," GCM, Sep 11, 2018
- "GCM Resources receives power plant pre-feasibility assessment ">GCM Resources receives power plant pre-feasibility assessment," World Coal, November 6, 2018
- "GCM and POWERCHINA Inks US$4bn Power Deal," Energy Bangla, January 17, 2019