Quang Tri power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Quảng Trị power station is a proposed 2,400-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Quảng Trị province, Vietnam.
The map below shows the location of Hải Khê commune, the approximate location where the plant would be built, in Hải Lăng district, Quảng Trị province.
In August 2013, Quảng Trị provincial officials announced that the company Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) had been licensed to build a $2.3 billion, 1,200-MW, two-unit coal-fired power plant in the Quang Tri Southeast Economic Zone. The project was originally scheduled to come online in 2019-20.
The company signed a memorandum of understanding with the Quang Tri provincial government in July 2014. Financial arrangements and land acquisition had not yet been completed at that time. The plant is being built under a build-own-transfer (BOT) scheme. Construction was scheduled to begin at the end of 2017; the first unit would go online in June 2021, and the second in December 2021.
According to the revised Power Development Plan VII (2016), the project will be completed in 2023 and 2024.
EGAT completed a feasibility study in July 2016; that feasibility study was later approved by the Ministry of Industry & Trade. In February 2017, EGAT said it planned to begin construction in mid-2019. The project would cost $2.2 billion. In February, provincial officials pushed EGAT to begin construction in 2018. In June 2017, EGAT said it would indeed begin construction in 2018.
On June 24, 2017, Quang Ninh Thermal Power Plant (EGATi) and the Department of Energy (MOIT) signed an a Memorandum of Understanding on the BOT project. According to the MoU, Units 1 and 2 will be put into commercial operation in 2021.
In December 2018 EGAT announced that construction had been delayed but that it planned to begin by September 2019.
In November 2016, KEPCO announced that it was looking at the possibility of building a second phase of the plant. In January 2017, Korea Western Power Co., a subsidiary of KEPCO, signed an agreement with Quảng Trị provincial officials to build the 1,200-MW, two-unit Quảng Trị-2. The project would cost $1.85 billion, and would be completed by the end of 2024.
In October 2018 the CEO of Korea Western Power said the company would abide by international standards in developing the Quảng Trị-2 plant, and will consider converting the project into renewable power.
- Sponsor: EGAT International (EGATi) (Quảng Trị 1); Korea Western Power Co. (Quảng Trị-2)
- Parent company: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) (Quảng Trị 1); KEPCO (Quảng Trị-2)
- Location: Hải Khê commune, Hải Lăng district, Quảng Trị province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 16.75658, 107.36713 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development (Quảng Trị-1); Announced (Quảng Trị-2)
- Gross Capacity: 2,400 MW (Quảng Trị-1 Units 1 & 2: 600 MW; Quảng Trị-2 Units 1 & 2: 600 MW)
- In service:
- Quảng Trị 1: 2023/2024
- Quảng Trị 2: 2024
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Thailand's Power Firm to Set Up $2.26 Billion Plant in Central Vietnam, Tuoi Tre News, Aug. 21, 2013.
- Egat's power plant project gets go-ahead in Quang Tri, Nation Multimedia, 15 July 2014.
- EGATI and Provincial People's Committee of Quang Tri signed MOU to develop Quang Tri Thermal Power Plant in Vietnam, EGATI press release, 21 July 2014.
- DANH MỤC CÁC DỰ ÁN NGUỒN ĐIỆN VÀO VẬN HÀNH GIAI ĐOẠN 2016 - 2030, Ban hành kèm theo Quyết định số 428/QĐ-TTg ngày 18 tháng 3 năm 2016 của Thủ tướng Chính phủ (LIST OF POWER PROJECT IN OPERATION PERIOD 2016 - 2030, Issued together with Decision No. 428 / QD - TTg of March 18, 2016 by the Prime Minister)
- EAGTi hoàn thành hồ sơ nghiên cứu khả thi Dự án Nhà máy nhiệt điện Quảng Trị, Dautu Online, 7 July 2016.
- AEGTi dự kiến khởi công Nhà máy nhiệt điện Quảng Trị 1 vào giữa năm 2019, Dautu Online, 3 Feb. 2017.
- Quảng Trị: Phấn đấu khởi công xây dựng Nhà máy Nhiệt điện 1 năm 2018, Cong Thuong, 17 Feb. 2017.
- UBND tỉnh Quảng Trị làm việc với Tổng cục Năng lượng - Bộ Công thương về dự án Nhà máy nhiệt điện Quảng Trị, Quang Tri Online, 22 June 2017.
- "Bước tiến mới trong dự án Nhiệt điện Quảng Trị," NANGLUONG VIETNAM, 24 October 2017
- Accelerate the implementation of the Quang Tri BOT Thermal Power Plant project 1, Dautur, Dec. 13, 2018
- Tập đoàn điện lực Hàn Quốc nghiên cứu đầu tư Nhà máy Nhiệt điện 2 tại Khu kinh tế Đông Nam Quảng Trị, Quảng Trị Province press release, 21 Nov. 2016.
- Hàn Quốc xây nhà máy nhiệt điện chạy than tại Quảng Trị, Icon.com.vn, 20 Jan. 2017.
- "중부발전 사장, 국감에서 찌레본 3호기 중단하였다고 밝혀 - 중부발전/서부발전 국정감사 질의 응답," Youtube, 2018.10.18, at 4:10 minutes