Raikheda power station
Raikheda power station is a 1,370-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Chhattisgarh state, India.
The photo below shows the project in Tilda tehsil.
In February 2010, it was reported that sponsor GMR Group would begin construction on the station in the following months, with the two units commissioned within 45 months and 50 months respectively, around 2014.
Banks withhold funds
According to a June 2012 report, although the project had received all its approvals, banks were withholding funds from the project:
- "Also interesting is the case of GMR group’s Chhattisgarh energy project with two units of 685 mw each based on imported coal. As per the power ministry’s note to the finance ministry, this is one project where no clearances are pending. Still banks and financial institutions are to begin disbursement of debt funds for the project."
Nearly a hundred farmers rallied in March 2009 to protest land acquisitions for the GMR Energy project. Protest leader Ganguram Baghel told reporters, "Today's rally is to remind the company to recall its agents from Raikheda who are making false promises to the farmers. We do not want the plant as it will only raise the pollution levels in Raikheda that already has over a dozen sponge iron units. We will oppose the project till our last breath because it is an issue concerning our survival. Hundreds of Raikheda residents and from adjoining villages have skin cancer due to industrial pollution and the number of patients is going up every month."
Sponsor: GMR Energy, and subsidiary of GMR Group
Location: Raikheda, Gaitra, and Chicoli villages, Tilda tehsil, Raipur district, Chhattisgarh
Coordinates: 21.4499182, 81.8524736 (exact)
Capacity: 1370 MW (2 x 685 MW)
Projected in service: 2015 (Unit 1); 2016 (Unit 2)
Coal Source: Imported coal from South Africa until domestic coal linkage is obtained
Estimated annual CO2: 8,101,770 tons
Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "GMR Chhattisgarh Power Project," GMR Energy, accessed February 2012
- GMR Group, "GMR Chhattisgarh Power Project", GMR Group website, accessed November 2011.
- "Work to begin by March on GMR's Chhattisgarh project," ConstructionUpdate.com, February 2010
- "GMR operationalises first unit of Chhattisgarh supercritical thermal power plant," Live Mint, Oct 7, 2014
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," India CEA, November 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," India CEA, July 2016
- KA Badarinath, "Banks holding back lending to power ventures," Financial Chronicle, June 13, 2012
- "Chhattisgarh farmers protest Rs.55-bn power project," Circles.net, 9 March 2009
- Compliance Status to MoEF for May 10, 2011 to November 9, 2011,