RDK (Karlsruhe) power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Germany and coal.|
RDK (Karlsruhe) power station, also known as the Rheinhafen power station, is a 1,460-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany.
The undated satellite below shows the plant in Karlsruhe.
The power station consisted of the following coal- and gas-fired units:
- Units 1&2: 64 MW each
- Units 3&4: 100 MW each
- Units 5&6: 180 MW each
- Unit 7: 550 MW
- Unit 8: 910 MW
The first seven units were commissioned from 1955 to 1985, and unit 8 in 2014. Units 1 to 3 are shut down since the 1980s; both oil and gas-fired units 5 and 6 are since 1993 in cold reserve, meaning they can start operating again after an interval. Unit 4 is a gas and steam turbine plant. The coal-fired power plant unit 7 has been used for intermediate load and coal-fired unit 8 for baseload.
In April 2008 Power in Europe listed the project status as being "tendering, proposed" with a notional commissioning date of 2011/2012. It also listed the installed capacity as being in the range of 890-912 megawatts with "400?" in brackets. The project was approved by the ENBW board in December 2006. The newsletter also noted that the company was also "actively investigating" a 400 megawatt combined cycle gas turbine plant on the same site. Both the projects are slated as replacement for nuclear power stations set to be retired.
According to a November 2012 report by Deutsche Umweltshilfe, the project is under construction with expected completion in 2013.
Project Details of coal units
- Sponsor: Energie Baden-Württemberg
- Parent company: EnBW AG
- Location: Karlsruhe, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Coordinates: 49.0125 , 8.302778 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 1,460 MW (Unit 7: 550 MW, Unit 8: 910 MW)
- Start date: 1985 (Unit 7), 2014 (Unit 8)
- Type: Subcritical (Unit 7), Ultra-supercritical (Unit 8)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Fossil energy," EnBW, accessed April 2016
- "Karlsruhe RDK 7 and 8 Power Plant Germany," GEO, accessed April 2016
- "PiE’s new power plant project tracker – April 2008", Power in Europe, Issue 523, April 7, 2008, page 21.
- "Projects of coal-fired power plants in Germany since 2007," Deutsche Umwelthilfe, November 2012