|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Roche (Hoffmann-La Roche) is a global pharmaceutical and medical services company headquartered in Basel, Switzerland. The company specializes in pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and biotechnology and virology. Specialty areas also include auto-immune diseases, inflammatory and metabolic disorders and diseases of the central nervous system. Roche has Research and Development (R&D) agreements and strategic alliances with numerous partners. The company, which sells its products in some 180 countries, operates in two main segments, pharmaceuticals and diagnostics. Brand name drugs include cancer therapies MabThera/Rituxan and Avastin, anemia treatment NeoRecormon/Epogin, hepatitis drug Pegasys, transplant drug CellCept, macular degeneration therapy Lucentis and Tamiflu for influenza. Roche also markets many of its best sellers through its subsidiary Genentech and its affiliate Chugai Pharmaceutical. Roche diagnostics include DNA tests and diabetes supplies.
In the fiscal year ending in December of 2009, the company reported sales of approximately $49.28 billion dollars and had 81,507 employees.
- 1 Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
- 2 Animal Testing
- 3 Case Studies
- 4 Roche Products
- 5 Mergers and Acquisitions
- 6 Public Relations and Lobbying
- 7 Contact
- 8 Articles and Resources
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Roche subdivision "Roche Diagnostics Corporation" has ties to ALEC. It was listed as a member of ALEC until it allegedly terminated its membership on January 14, 2013, according to an August 2013 ALEC document.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Roche does animal testing.
Facility iInformation, Progress Reports and USDA-APHIS Reports
For links to copies of a facility's U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)-Animal Plant Health Inspection (APHIS) reports, other information and links, see also Stop Animal Experimentation NOW!: Facility Reports and Information. This site contains listings for all 50 states, links to biomedical research facilities in that state and PDF copies of government documents where facilities must report their animal usage. (Search: Roche, Nutley, NJ; Roche, Palo Alto, CA).
The Roche Palo Alto LLC lab performed animal experiments involving pain or distress but no analgesics, anesthetics or pain relievers were administered. 
Roche's subsidiary Genetech also does animal testing. See also Genentech.
USDA AWA Reports
As of May 26, 2009, the USDA began posting all inspection reports for animal breeders, dealers, exhibitors, handlers, research facilities and animal carriers by state. See also USDA Animal Welfare Inspection Reports.
Roche contract tests out to Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS).  HLS is the 3rd largest contract research organization (CRO) in the world and the largest animal testing facility in all of Europe. Firms hire HLS to conduct animal toxicity tests for agrochemicals, petrochemicals, household products, pharmaceutical drugs and toxins. HLS has a long history of gross animal welfare violations. See also Huntingdon Life Sciences.
- Roche's $ 65,000 Dinner For Australian Doctors
- Roche Supplies Xenical Weight Loss Drug to UK Diet Clinic
Mergers and Acquisitions
Genentech, Inc. is a pharmaceutical company and one of the world's most financially successful biotechnology corporations. Roche, which previously owned a majority of stock in the San Francisco based firm, took full ownership in 2009.
Public Relations and Lobbying
F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
Roche Group Media Office
Telephone +41-61-688 8888
Telefax +41-61-688 2775
Web address: http://www.roche.com/home.html
Articles and Resources
- Animal testing
- Cancer United
- Huntingdon Life Sciences
- International Association for the Study of Obesity
- International Obesity Task Force
- Medicines Australia's Code of Conduct
- National Primate Research Center System
- Patient Groups
- Pharmaceutical industry
- War on Cancer
- "Company Suspended From ABPI Membership Over Breaches Of Code Of Practice", Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry, Media Release, July 2008.
- Adam Cresswell, "Drug firm fined $75,000 over lavish meals for doctors", The Australian, February 13, 2007.
- Record operating results for Roche again in 2007, Roche Media Release, January 2008
- Roche Holding, Ltd., Hoovers, accessed December 2010
- American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC 40th Anniversary Annual Meeting Board Meeting packet, organizational documents, August 6, 2013, released by The Guardian December 3, 2013.
- Facility Reports and Information: Roche LLC Lab, Palo Alto, CA, Stop Animal Experimentation NOW!, accessed December 2009
- Inside Customers, SHAC.net, December 2009
- Company Description: Genentech, Hoovers, accessed December 2009
- Sarah Boseley, Concern over cancer group's link to drug firm, The Guardian, October 2006