Romania is a country in southeast Europe, its name coming from the fact that it was once a colony of ancient, imperial Rome. Being on the Black Sea makes it an attractive, strategic location for air and naval bases for the alliance. It joined NATO in 2004 and the European Union in 2007.   
- The 1991 constitution upholds freedom of expression, but prohibits "defamation of the country". In 2007 the media rights body Reporters Without Borders praised reforms to the criminal code; journalists can no longer be jailed on defamation charges.
Public relations in Romania
In Romania, most advertising firms have been taken over by outside, large, multinational agencies such as Ogilvy, BBDO, and McCann. In contract most public relations firms are still locally owned but according to public relations manager Eliza Rogalski, this may soon change as outside firms become interested in buying up local PR firms.
U.S. military bases in Romania
In 2005, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice signed a deal that allowed the U.S. to have military bases in Romania, the first country from the former Soviet Union to allow U.S. bases. The U.S. now uses the Mihail Kogalniceanu air base which is just inland from the Black Sea. In 2003 during the U.S. invasion of Iraq, the U.S. was using an air base at Kogalniceanu to send soldiers into Iraq and temporarily kept up to 3,500 soldiers at the base.
The U.S. is shifting some soldiers from bases in western Europe, further east which is angering Russia.
- Traian Basescu, President since 2004, survived impeachment in 2007
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base
- Peace Action, Training and Research Institute of Romania
- U.S. military bases overseas
- Soros Foundations
- Aurel-Dragos Munteanu
- Robert J. Rivers
- Alfred H. Moses
- Jan Jakub Wygnanski
- Louis S. Thompson
- Edward J. von Kloberg III
- Tom Kaplan
- Romania, National Geographic, accessed January 2008.
- Country profile: Romania, BBC, accessed January 2008.
- Romania, Europa, accessed January 2008.
- Iulian Comanescu, "Good local PR agencies for sale, says manager of PR dept. in important agency", Romanian Media Explained, December 14, 2006.
- "Rice signs US-Romania bases deal", BBC, December 6, 2005.
- "Romania Finalizes U.S. Military Bases Deal", DefenseNews.com, November 17, 2005.
- "U.S. tests joint military bases in Romania", Reuters, August 30, 2007.
- Chalmers Johnson, "America's Empire of Bases", CommonDreams.org, January 15, 2004.
- Petru Clej, "Romanian politics mired in abuse", BBC, May 14, 2007.
- Timeline: Romania, BBC, accessed January 2008.