Salkadamna power station
Salkadamna power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tahoua region, Niger.
The map below shows the location of the city of Tahoua. The project is planned to be built near here, in Salkadamna village.
The Government of Niger is planning a coal-mining complex in Tahoua region, Niger. The project involves the construction of a coal-mining complex on 30 square kilometers of land. It includes the construction of a 600MW coal-fired power plant, a 500km high-power line, and a coal-fired briquette plant. US-based Source California Services Inc. (SCS) has been appointed as the developer and China-based Huawei International Power Engineering as the technical consultant. The project would be at Salkadamna in the Tahoua region of Niger, about 900 km (600 miles) northeast of the capital Niamey. The area has estimated coal reserves of around 69 million tonnes.
In April 2015 sponsor SCS said it had completed financing for the US$1.2 billion open-cast coal and power project, and that work could begin, although the timeline remains unclear. Niger president Mahamadou Issoufou visited the site in mid‑2014 for the laying of the first stone but it appears actual works did not begin then. It is also unclear who the financial backers are, according to reports.
In May 2016 it was reported that officials in Niamey were fed up with delays on the project by Sources California Energy, and were exploring a partnership with China’s Eximbank.
As of December 2018 there have been no developments on the project, and plans appear shelved.
- Sponsor: Sources California Energy
- Parent company:
- Location: Salkadamna village, near the city of Tahoua in Tahoua region, Niger
- Coordinates: 14.883333, 5.266667 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: new open-cast coal mine in Tahoua region, Niger
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Project Details: GoN – Salkadamna Coal-Mining Complex – Niger," Construction IC, accessed Sep 2017
- "US firm completes financing for coal and power project in Niger," Reuters, April 14, 2015
- "Financing for large power plant project complete," The Economist, Apr 23, 2015
- "China’s Eximbank back in play over Salkadamna power station," Africa Intelligence, May 10, 2016