Selena power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Selena power station is a proposed 900-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Hatay province, Turkey.
The undated satellite photo below shows the proposed location of the plant near Aşağı Burnaz village, Erzin district, Hatay province. The site for the proposed plant is adjacent to the site of the Egemer combined-cycle gas-fired power plant.
Background on Plant
In July 2009, the EPDK gave preliminary approval to Selena Elektrik (a subsidiary of Bendis Enerji) to build a two-unit, 900-MW coal-fired power plant in northwestern Hatay province. Selena Elektrik began the environmental regulatory application process in December 2009.
A lengthy petition was sent to Turkey's General Assembly by the Yeşilkent Irrigation Cooperative and numerous residents of Aşağı Burnaz village in March 2011, detailing numerous complaints about the proposed project. A public environmental hearing in July 2011 was met with protests, with local residents concerned about the proposed plant's effect on citrus agriculture, a mainstay of the local economy. A street protest against the proposed plant was held in Erzin in December 2011, where locals expressed opposition not only to this project but also to the numerous other proposed coal-fired plants in Adana and Hatay provinces. In June 2012, another local environmental permitting meeting was shut down by protests. The final license was issued in August 2012.
The EIA was suspended in June 2014, as the Hatay administrative court ruled the EIA should consider the cumulative impacts of five different power projects proposed in the Burnaz region. A new EIA was submitted in September 2014, and rejected in October 2015.
On June 15, 2017, the production license for the plant was terminated by Turkey's EPDK Board.
- Sponsor: Selena Elektrik Üretim A.Ş.
- Parent company: Bendis Enerji Üretim Madencilik Danışmanlık San ve Tic Ltd. Şti.
- Location: Aşağı Burnaz village, Erzin district, Hatay province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 36.9214725, 36.0475297 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Detailed status:
- Gross capacity: 900 MW (Units 1 & 2: 450 MW)
- Projected in service: TBD
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Erzin termik santrala karşı sokakta, Yeşil Gazete, Dec. 14, 2011.
- Selena Elektrik Üretim A.Ş., Bendis Enerji website, accessed May 2014.
- Petition Committee General Assembly Resolution, Turkish National Assembly Resolution No. 48, Mar. 25, 2011.
- Erzin'de Termik Santrale Tepki, Bianet, Aug. 2, 2011.
- Bakanlık önündeki 'mandalinalı' eyleme CHP, MHP ve BDP'den destek, Haberdar, Dec. 14, 2011.
- Selena ÇED toplantısını yapamadı, Başak Gazetesi, June 6, 2012.
- Selena Kömür Santrali, Kara Atlas, accessed May 2014.
- Hatay Selena Kömür Santrali için acele kamulaştırma, Enerji Günlüğü, Aug. 4, 2013.
- "Erzin termiğine durdurma," Evrensel, June 10, 2014
- "Hatay'daki kömür santrali ÇED raporu görüşe açıldı," Enerjigunlugu, Sep 9, 2014
- "Erzin'de termik santral lisans başvuruları iptal edildi," HT Ekonomi, Oct 14, 2015
- "Selena Kömür Santrali Üretim Lisansı İptal Edildi," iklimadaleti, 25 August 2017