Sheikhupura power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Pakistan and coal.|
Sheikhupura power station is a proposed 55-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Punjab province, Pakistan.
The map below shows Mughal's steel plant near Sheikhupura, in Punjab province. The coal plant would power the steel mill.
In July 2014, the chief minister of Punjab said the government was planning to build 110 MW coal power plants (2 x 55 MW) near industrial load centers in seven big cities: Sheikhupura, Faisalabad, Gujranwala, Sialkot, Gujrat, Multan and Lahore.
In July 2015 Mughal Group Industries said it planned a 55MW coal-fired power plant in Sheikhupura with an estimated cost of US$140 million. The group intends to implement the project through a special purpose vehicles named Mughal Energy Limited, which has approached the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) seeking a generation license.
The project would be aimed at meeting the 39 MW power requirements of Mughal Steel Mills, the second largest steel manufacturing concern in Pakistan. It would use circulating fluidized bed (CFB) technology, 70 percent imported coal, and recirculating cooling technology supplied from ground water. A special purpose vehicle named Mughal Energy Limited would build the project, estimated at US$141.7 million and financed withy 75:25 debt to equity. It would have gross capacity of 55 MW and net capacity of 49 MW, with 29 MW used by Mughal Steel, 10 MW dedicated grid dispatch, and 10 MW surplus power dispatch.
With no updates since 2015, the project appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: Mughal Energy Limited
- Parent company: Mughal Group Industries
- Location: Mughal steel mill, Sheikhupura district, Punjab province, Pakistan
- Coordinates: 31.6526, 74.1808 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 55 MW
- Type: circulating fluidized bed (CFB)
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: 75% imported, 25% domestic
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Scaling down: Small coal power plants to be set up in seven cities says CM," The Express Tribune, July 28, 2014
- "Mughal Steel To Setup Coal-Fired Plant In Sheikhupura," Wish Stocks, July 13, 2015
- "Generation License Application of Mughal Energy Limited," submitted to National Electric Power Regulatory Authority 22 April 2015