Guangtou Beihai power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Guangtou Beihai power station (神华国华广投北海电厂) is a proposed 2,000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China.
- 1 Location
- 2 Background on Project
- 3 Ownership
- 4 Project Details
- 5 Articles and resources
The undated satellite photo below shows the construction site for the plant in Tieshan Harbor.
Background on Project
Shenhua Group (now National Energy Investment Group) is currently planning to build a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 2,000 MW in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. The plant began construction in 2015,and is scheduled to be completed in 2017.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration suspended over 100 planned and under-construction coal power projects, including Guangtou Beihai. It is unclear when or if the projects will be revived.
For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2017: Plant postponed by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2018: Project revived
The project was listed as one of three planned coal-fired power stations in the 2018-2020 Guangxi Major Industrial Plan. It is planned for construction in 2020.
On August 28 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
- Sponsor: Shenhua Guohua Guangtou Beihai Electric Generation Co. (神华国华广投北海发电有限责任公司)
- Parent Company: National Energy Investment Group
- Location: Xinggang Town, Tieshangang, Tieshan Harbor, Hepu County, Beihai Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 21.54241,109.576708 (exact)
- Status: Permitted
- Gross capacity: 2,000 MW (Units 1 & 2: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "国华北海电厂一期2台百万机组桩基工程开工," 北海市政府门户网站, 2015-06-04
- "神华国华广投北海电厂2×1000MW新建工程可行性研究报告审查会在南宁顺利召开",中华人民共和国商务部, 2012-10-26
- "神华国华电力北海电厂新建项目喜获核准," Polaris-fired power, 2014-12-16
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "2020年将开工建设四台百万千瓦级燃煤机组！广西2018-2020年重大项目建设计划表发布," 北极星电力网, 2019/1/8
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage", Reuters (29 August 2017). Retrieved on 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company", Bloomberg News (28 August 2017). Retrieved on 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017