State of the Union 2006
President George W. Bush delivered his State of the Union 2006 address to the Nation on January 31, 2006.
Mis-Statements of the Union
- George W. Bush, State of the Union Address, January 31, 2006
- Live on C-SPAN, January 31, 2006, at 9:00 P.M. (ET).
Middle East expert and author Stephen Zunes dissected some of George W. Bush's "simplistic formulations" made during the State of the Union (SOTU) address. Bush stated, "there is a difference between responsible criticism that aims for success, and defeatism that refuses to acknowledge anything but failure. Hindsight alone is not wisdom. And second-guessing is not a strategy." 
Zunes countered, "Recognizing that the war is probably unwinnable is not defeatism. It is realism. Aiming for an unachievable military 'success' is not responsible. It is a folly of tragic proportions. And insisting the Bush administration be held accountable for the lies, the negligence, and the tragic blunders which have resulted from this ongoing tragedy is a patriotic duty." 
Green Party of the United States
- Press Release: "The Truth About The State Of Our Union," Common Dreams, January 26, 2006.
On Previous SOTU Speeches
- Deb Riechmann, "Bush Has Hits, Misses in Annual Speech," Associated Press (Washington Post), January 27, 2006.
- Deb Riechmann, "Bush Previews State of the Union Themes. Previewing Stat of the Union Themes, Bush Radio Speech Highlights Economy, Energy, Health Care," Associated Press (ABC News), January 22, 2006.
- Richard W. Stevenson, "Bush sticks with comeback plan," New York Times (International Herald Tribune), January 26, 2006.
- Chuck Raasch, Opinion: "Speech frames Bush's midterm battles," USA Today, January 26, 2006.
- Teddy Davis, "The State of the Union: A Preview. With the GOP and White House Under Fire, What Will Be on the President's Agenda?" ABC News, January 27, 2006.
- Dan Robinson, "Bush's State of Union Address Unlikely to End Divide Between Democrats and Republicans," Voice of America, January 27, 2006.
- Jim Malone, "Bush to Deliver State of the Union Amid Partisan Division," Voice of America, January 27, 2006.
- Richard Benedetto, Opinion: "Bush has lot at stake in State of Union; he needs to seize opportunity," USA Today, January 27, 2006.
- Edward Epstein, "Dems attack Bush as State of Union nears. They say president favors big donors over average citizens," San Francisco Chronicle, January 27, 2006.
- Julie Mason, "Bush hopes to reclaim his agenda on Tuesday. But with federal budget strapped, he can roll out few initiatives in his annual speech," Houston Chronicle, January 28, 2006.
- Melissa Drosjak, "Bush to Offer 'Optimistic' State of the Union," Fox News, January 28, 2006.
- Tom Raum, "Analysis: Bush seeks to invigorate party," Associated Press (Seattle Post-Intelligencer), January 28, 2006.
- Editorial: "Calling Attention to the Economy," Washington Post, January 29, 2006.
- Billy House, "State of Union: What'll he say? '06 races, ethics issues leave many guessing," azcentral.com, January 29, 2006.
- Alex Massie, "Election-savvy Bush to quell great expectations in State of Union address," The Scotsman, January 29, 2006.
- Lewis L. Gould, "Ban the Bombast! State of the Union? It's Nothing but Theater," Washington Post, January 29, 2006.
- Robert Pear, "Bush's State of Union talk to target medical costs," New York Times (Seattle Times), January 29, 2006.
- Stephen Zunes, "A Mis-statement of the Union Address", Foreign Policy in Focus, February 1, 2006
Related SourceWatch Resources
- "America is addicted to oil"
- Bush administration (includes numerous links)
- Bush administration approval ratings
- Bush administration scandals 2005:
- Bill Frist: Inside Trader
- George W. Bush's domestic spying
- George W. Bush: Hurricane Katrina
- Jack Abramoff / George W. Bush and Jack Abramoff / "Team Abramoff"
- Republican 'culture of corruption' / Resource List
- Thomas D. DeLay / "Team DeLay"
- Treasongate: Beyond Karl Rove / I. Lewis Scooter Libby / Karl Rove