Swaziland and coal

From SourceWatch
Jump to: navigation, search

There are no coal-fired power stations in Swaziland, although some have been proposed. There is some coal mining.[1]

Electric power

Electrical power in Swaziland is supplied by the Swaziland Electricity Company (SEC). Power generation is based mainly on hydro and diesel generation, with a working capacity of 50 megawatts, making up 22 percent of Swaziland's electricity. The other 78 percent of its electricity comes from South Africa though South Africa's power utility, Eskom and Electricidade de Mozambique (EDM) in Mozambique.[2][3]

In its annual report for 2013 the SEC states that domestic generation was 240 gigawatt hours while electricity imports amounted to 822 gigawatt hours.[4]he SEC's domestic sources of generation come from four power plants -- the 19.5 MW Maguga hydro power station, the 20 MW Ezulwini hydro power station, the Edwaleni power station (with a 15 MW hydro plant and a 9.5 MW diesel plant), and the 5.6 MW Maguduza hydro power stations.[5]

Coal mines

The country has estimated coal reserves of 2,020 million metric tonnes. The Maloma colliery had an annual capacity of 310,000 tonnes of anthracite coal in 2002. The operator is Xstrata South Africa, and all production is exported to South Africa.[6]

Proposals to open the Mpaka Colliery, after years of suspension, are dependent on financial investment.[6]

Proposed coal plants

Articles and resources

References

  1. "Electrical Power in Swaziland - Overview," MBendi, accessed Feb 2014.
  2. Swaziland Electricity Company, "Annual Report 2012/13", Swaziland Electricity Company, November 2013, page 9.
  3. Swaziland Electricity Company, "Annual Report 2012/13", Swaziland Electricity Company, November 2013, page 38.
  4. Swaziland Electricity Company, "Annual Report 2012/13", Swaziland Electricity Company, November 2013, page 13.
  5. Swaziland Electricity Company, "Annual Report 2012/13", Swaziland Electricity Company, November 2013, page 13.
  6. 6.0 6.1 "Coal Mining in Swaziland - Overview," MBendi, accessed Feb 2014.

Related SourceWatch articles

External resources

External articles