Talcher coal mines
The Talcher coal mines are a 52 million tonne-per-annum (MTPA) network of mines on the Talcher coalfield in Odisha state, India.
The map below shows the location of the coal mines, in Angul district, Odisha state.
Background on Mine
The 52 million tonne-per-annum Talcher coal mines are owned by Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (a subsidiary of state-owned Coal India). Talcher is separated into the following mines: Ananta-I & -II (12 MTPA), Bharatpur-I (5 MTPA), Balaram (8 MTPA), Hingula-I & -II/1 & 2 (8 MTPA), Jagannath-I & -II (6 MTPA), Lingaraj-I & -II (13 MTPA), and Nandira Underground (0.3 MTPA).
The following mines at Talcher are either being built or are currently planned: Ananta-III (3 MTPA), Bharatput-II & -III (15 MTPA), Bhubaneswari (20 MTPA), Gopalprasad (15 MTPA), Hingula-II/3 (7 MTPA), Jagannath Underground (0.7 MTPA), Kaniha (10 MTPA), Talcher Underground (0.5 MTPA), and Natraj Underground (0.6 MTPA).
In June 2015 Mahanadi Coalfields floated an online tender seeking participation of interested parties to set up a 10 million tonne (mt) per annum coal washery at Talcher. The washery is to be made functional within 18 months from signing of the contract.
- Sponsor: Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India
- Location: Angul district, Odisha state, India
- Coordinates: 20.955, 85.115 (approximate) (20.92-20.99 N, 85.01-85.22 E)
- Status: Operating, with expansions under construction/planned
- Capacity: 52 MTPA existing, 69 MTPA under development
- Reserves: 49,955 MT (18,149 MT proven, 27,598 MT indicated, 4,208 MT inferred)
- In service: 1991-2013 (dates for construction/planned mines unknown)
- Coal type:
- Mining method: All but 0.3 MTPA is surface
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited 2013-14 Annual Report, pp. 20-21.
- Bioprofile of Projects, MCL website, accessed May 2015.
- "MCL floats second tender for 10 mt coal washery," Business Standard, June 15, 2015
- Coal Directory of India 2012-13, Ministry of Coal, 2014, p. 2.11.