Tanjung Bara Coal Terminal
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Tanjung Bara is located on the island of Kalimantan near the village of Sangkimah, off Kutai National park, about 20 kilometres north of the towns of Bontang and Santan.
The terminal has a 2.4 million tonne capacity stockpile, to load coal onto ships of up to 220,000 DWT coal bulk carriers for transshipment. The terminal has handling capacity of 80,000 tonnes per day and 24 million tonnes per year.
The Indonesia government granted authorization to PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC) to carrry out exploration, production and marketing of coal in area of 90,938 hectares in Sangatta and Bengalon of East Kutai Regency in East Kalimantan Province. KPC’s Sangatta mine is close to the port facilities at Tanjung Bara, which is linked to the mine by an overland conveyor running 13 kilometers. The Bengalon mine is also close to the coast and is linked to Tanjung Bara by a 22 kilometers haul road. In 2013, KPC’s total coal production at the Sangatta and Bengalon mines reached 53.5 million tonnes, up 29.5% from 41.3 million tonnes in 2012.
PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC) was originally jointly owned by BP and Rio Tinto. Although BP and Rio Tinto’s Contract of Work required the companies to divest part of their holding to local interests, up until 2003 no Indonesian purchaser was able to raise the finance needed to buy them out. In mid-2003, the companies announced the sale of their holdings in KPC to PT Bumi Resources for a cash price of US$500 million, including assumed debt.
- Sponsor: Kaltim Prima Coal
- Parent company: PT Bumi Resources
- Location: north Samarinda, East Kalimantan, Indonesia
- Annual Coal Capacity (Tonnes): 24 million
- Status: Operating
- Start year: 1991
- Type: Exports
- Coal source: Sangatta and Bengalon, East Kalimantan, Indonesia
Articles and Resources
- "Indo Coal" Indo Coal, accessed September 14, 2011
- Port of Tanjung Bara. Marine traffic. Retrieved on 22 September 2017.
- "Kaltim Prima Coal," KPC Coal from Indonesia website, accessed July 2015
- "Strategic business analysis on investment method for coal transshiment," The Indonesian Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 2, No. 10, 2013: 1188-1202
- "Kaltim Prima Coal," PT Bumi Resources, accessed July 2015
- "BP Exploration Coal Mine, Kaltim Prima", Mining Tech, accessed March 2018