Thang Long power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Thăng Long power station (also known as Lê Lợi power station) is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal plant under development in Quảng Ninh province, Vietnam.
The map below shows the location of the project, in Lê Lợi commune, Hoành Bồ district, Quảng Ninh province.
In July 2008, the Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Commerce allowed a proposal to move forward by the Thang Long Thermo-Power Joint-Stock Company to build a 600-MW coal power plant in the northern province of Quảng Ninh. The initial plan was for the first unit to come online in 2011, and the second in 2012.
In December 2010, Thang Long Thermo-Power JSC signed an engineering & construction contract for the plant with Chinese company Wuhan Kaidi Electric Power Engineering; the cost was estimated at $645 million, and the plant was scheduled to be completed in Sept. 2014.
Construction began in October 2014, and is scheduled to be completed in Q3 2018. In August 2015, French firm Alstom was awarded the contract to supply the plant's circulating-fluidized-bed boilers. In June 2017, plans were finalized to build a 500 kV power line to connect the plant to the grid.
- Sponsor: Thang Long-Gelexemco Thermal Power Co.
- Parent company: Hanoi Export-Import Company (Geleximco Group)
- Location: Lê Lợi commune, Hoành Bồ district, Quảng Ninh province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 21.02184, 107.04815 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1 & 2: 300 MW); also described as 620 MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- In service: Unit 1: 2018; Unit 2: 2018
- Coal Type: Anthracite
- Coal Source: domestic
- Source of financing: 20% owner's capital; 80% foreign loans guaranteed by the government; China Development Bank and China Export and Credit Insurance Corporation (Sinosure)
Articles and resources
- Power plants to Be Built in Central, Northern Provinces, Online Newspaper of the Communist Party of Vietnam, July 7, 2008.
- Alstom to supply the largest CFB Boilers in Vietnam, Alstom press release, Aug. 2015.
- Quảng Ninh to Build Another Thermo-Power Plant, Quảng Ninh provincial website, Dec. 30, 2010.
- Quang Ninh Province Aims to Be Vietnam’s Thermoelectric Centre, Vinacomin website, April 11, 2013.
- Construction of Thang Long Thermal Power Plant begins, Talk Vietnam, 23 Oct. 2014.
- Đóng điện đường dây 500kV đấu nối Nhà máy Nhiệt điện Thăng Long, Bao Moi, 1 June 2017.
- Thang Long Thermal Power: Solving the challenge of capital resources, Báo Đầu Tưr, Aug 11, 2018
- Licensing procedures hamper construction of thermopower plants, Vietnamnet, Jan. 17, 2019
- "Công ty CP Nhiệt điện Thăng Long (TLP)," GELEXIMCO, accessed December 2017
- "Layers," LVN & Associates, accessed June 2018