Time Warner Cable
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
|Company Name||Time Warner Cable|
|CEO Name||Glenn Britt|
|CEO Retirement Assets||$599,657|
|Underfunded Company Pension||-$50,000,000|
|Annual Company Revenue||$19,675,000,000|
|Tax Dodger ('08-'10)||12.7%|
|Federal Lobbying/Political Donations ('09-'12*)||$25,665,424|
|Click here for sources.
2011 data unless otherwise noted.
©2013 Center for Media and Democracy
Time Warner Cable is a cable service company, formerly controlled by Time Warner, Inc., but is now an independent company. It currently operates in 27 states, and offers a variety of services from basic cable service to digital phone service. The company had revenues in 2011 totaling $19.7 billion. 
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Time Warner Cable is part of the Campaign to Fix the Debt as of February 2013.
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Time Warner Cable (TWC) is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). Edward Kozelek, Vice President of Government Affairs at TWC, is the ALEC state chair of Ohio. TWC was also a "Director" level sponsor of the 2011 ALEC Annual Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana, which in 2010 equated to $10,000, and a sponsor of the ALEC Kids Congress at the same meeting.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Time Warner Cable also operates a number of "local" news channels that run on its cable systems.
Capital News 9-Albany,Albany, NY
MetroSports, Kansas City, MO
News 8 Austin, Austin, TX
News 10 Now-Syracuse, Syracuse, NY
News 14, Carolina-Charlotte, Charlotte, NC
News 14, Carolina-Raleigh, Raleigh, NC
NY1 News, New York, NY
R News, Rochester, NY
Board of Directors
As of February 2013:
- Glenn A. Britt - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Cable Inc.
- Carole Black - former President & Chief Executive Officer, Lifetime Entertainment Services
- Thomas H. Castro - President & Chief Executive Officer, El Dorado Capital, LLC
- David C. Chang - Chancellor, Polytechnic Institute of New York University
- James E. Copeland , Jr. - former Chief Executive Officer, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- Peter R. Haje
- Donna A. James - Business Advisor & Managing Director, Lardon & Associates LLC
- Don Logan - former Chairman of the Board, Time Warner Cable Inc.
- N.J. Nicholas , Jr. - Lead Director, Time Warner Cable Inc.
- Wayne H. Pace - former Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Time Warner Inc.
- Edward D. Shirley - President and Chief Executive Officer, Bacardi Limited
- John E. Sununu - former U.S. Senator
As of February 2013:
- Glenn A. Britt, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Robert D. Marcus, President and Chief Operating Officer
- Irene M. Esteves, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Ellen M. East, Executive Vice President and Chief Communications Officer
- Michael L. LaJoie, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
- Marc Lawrence-Apfelbaum, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
- Gail G. MacKinnon, Executive Vice President and Chief Government Relations Officer
- Peter C. Stern, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy, People and Corporate Development Officer
- Melinda Witmer, Executive Vice President and Chief Video and Content Officer
Corporate Offices in New York:
60 Columbus Cir #17
New York, NY 10023
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
- Dealbook, Time Warner Cable Spinoff to Finish Next Month, New York Times, February 27, 2009
- Time Warner Cable, "2011 Annual Report", organizational document, page 44.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Solutions for the States," 38th Annual Meeting agenda, on file with CMD, August 3-6, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Sponsors, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Kids Congress, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011
- Time Warner Cable Businesses
- , Time Warner Cable, "Board of Directors", organizational website, accessed February 2013
- , Time Warner Cable, "Our Executive Management Team", organizational website, accessed February 2013