|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Tiroda Thermal Power Project
The Tiroda Thermal Power Project is a 3,300-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Maharashtra, India.
The map below shows the power station in Tiroda village.
- Phase I - 2 x 660 MW
- Phase II - 1 x 660 MW
- Phase III - 2 x 660 MW
Phase I's Unit 1 (660 MW) was commissioned in 2012. Unit 2 (660 MW) was commissioned in March 2013. Phase II, unit 3 (660 MW) was commissioned in June 2013.
According to the Central Electricity Authority, there are three units in Phase II; i.e., the CEA appears to merge Phase II and Phase III into a single Phase II of three units. According to the CEA, all three units (3, 4, and 5) will be commissioned in 2013.
Standard Chartered Bank, China Development Bank Corporation and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China gave US$480 million in syndicated secured financing to Adani Power Maharashtra toward the power station.
On May 2, 2016, it was reported the Tiroda plant only had enough water to operate for a week. Maharashtra, which gets 20 per cent of its power from the plant, is lobbying the Madhya Pradesh Government to release water from the Bawanthadi dam to keep the plant operating. Two other smaller plants in Maharashtra, the 130 MW Parli power station and at least a third of the 600 MW Warora power station, have already been closed due to lack of water. The states of Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Odisha and West Bengal all declared drought in 2015.
Sponsor: Adani Power
Location: Tiroda village, Gondia district, Maharashtra
Coordinates: 21.4125018, 79.9673098 (Exact)
- Unit 1: Operating (2012)
- Unit 2: Operating (2013)
- Unit 3: Operating (2013)
- Unit 4: Operating (2014)
- Unit 5: Operating (2014)
Capacity: 3,300 MW (5 x 660 MW)
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: Standard Chartered Bank, China Development Bank Corporation and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Permits and applications:
- Phase I, Units 1 & 2: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 29, 2008
- Phase II & Phase III, Unit 3: Environmental Clearance Amendment, India MoEF, April 22, 2010
- Phase III, Units 4 and 5: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF April 22, 2010; and Environmental Clearance Amendment, India MoEF, March 13, 2014
- "Power Generation: Tiroda Thermal Power Project," Adani Power Limited, accessed February 2012
- "Power Generation" Adani Power, accessed July 2011
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country" Government of India Ministry of Power, September 2013.
- "Adani Power commissions 4th unit of Tiroda power plant in Gujarat," live mint, April 3, 2014.
- "Adani Power acquires Avantha’s 600 MW plant at Korba," Express News Service, November 25, 2014
- "Intelligence Report," India Business Journal, June 2014
- "Tiroda power plant may shut but government unmoved," Times of India, May 2, 2016