Tori power plant
Tori power plant is a proposed 1800-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under construction in Jharkhand, India, by Essar Energy.
The original Tori project proposal was for a captive pit-head coal-fired power plant, comprising two generation units of 600 MW capacity each, located in Latehar district, Jharkhand. The company states that coal for the project will be sourced "from the Chakla and Ashok Karkata captive coal blocks owned by the company".
In late 2011 a company spokesman told The Times of India that "construction work for the first phase has already started and it is going on in full swing. If things move smoothly, the first phase of 600MW will be commissioned by late 2012."
According to a September 2012 status report by the Central Electricity Authority, the first unit of 600 MW will be commissioned in June 2014 and the second unit in September 2014. However, the June 2014 status report of the CEA does not provide a completion date. A March 19, 2014 photo shows partial construction of two units. The December 2014 status report listed the planned commissioning dates as October 2016 for unit 1 and January 2017 for unit 2.
Construction work on the plant had been stalled since 2012-13 after the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) started an inquiry into the allocation process of coal mines, including the mine which was to supply fuel to the project. Allocations were later scrapped in September 2014 following a Supreme Court order. In the reallocation process, which started in February 2015, Essar Power secured the bid for the Tokisud mine at a bid of Rs.1,110 for every tonne of coal mined. Coal from this mine will be used for Essar’s Mahan Super Thermal Power Project, as well as the Tori power plant. Construction work resumed in April 2015.
However, in June 2015 Essar said the Tokisud mine could only be used for the company's Mahan coal plant. Live Mint reported that the Tori project was "on hold with bankers reluctant to lend to the project" as it did not have a fuel supply. At the end of March 2014, 43% of the construction at Tori unit 1 was complete, while at Tori unit 2, 17% had been completed.
In October 2017 the India government listed the projected completion date for the units as "uncertain."
Project on hold
In October 2016, the Broad Status Report described the situation at the construction site as follows:
- Mega Power Project status is yet being issued from MoP due to which 97% imported main plant equipment are lying at site/ Port.
Tapering coal linkage. Reasons for Delay:- Delay in MoE&F Clearance` (14.11.2013 for U2 & U3), Change of design in water cooled condenser to air cooled condenser due to water availability issue, Law & order issue, delay in grant of Mega power project status, cancellation of coal block and non-availability of tapering / long term coal linkage etc.
Sponsor: Essar Energy
Location: Tori village, Latehar district, Jharkhand
Coordinates: 23.7073307, 84.7738552 (exact)
Status: Units 1 and 2: Construction on hold (Shelved); Unit 3: Permitted, construction not started (Shelved)
Nameplate capacity: 1,800 MW (Units 1-3: 600 MW)
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Nov 14, 2013
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "2000 MW POWER PLANT- ESSAR POWER JHARKHAND LIMITED," Wikimapia, accessed February 2014
- Planet satellite imagery for 23.7073307, 84.7738552, February-March 2018 slider comparison, retrieved May 1, 2018
- "Essar Power Jharkhand-Tori (1,200 MW)" Essar Group, accessed January 23, 2011.
- Essar Energy, "Power", Essar Energy website, accessed February 2012.
- "Essar Power starts Tori plant work", The Times of India, August 3, 2011.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- Expected synchronization/commissioning (Full load)/COD details of Thermal Power Projects, Central Electricity Authority, December 2014
- "Essar Power to restart work on Rs1,000 crore Tori project," Live Mint, Apr 13, 2015
- "Lenders pull plug on Essar project," Live Mint, June 19, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2017
- Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Nov 14, 2013
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2016