Tosyalı İskenderun power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Tosyalı İskenderun power station is a proposed 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Hatay province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of İskenderun 2nd Organized Industrial Zone (OSB), the location where the plant would be built near Azganlık village, İskenderun district, Hatay province. Atakaş power station would also be located in the same industrial zone.
Background on Plant
In July 2012, Tosyalı Elektrik (a subsidiary of Tosyalı Holding) applied to build a 1,200-MW, $1.2 billion coal-fired power plant to support the company's substantial steel piping and general steel manufacturing operations in İskenderun. At least 1/3 of the plant's power would be used by Tosyalı's operations in the area, and the remainder would be sold to local networks.
A local forum was held in March 2013, at which local politicians, academics, environmentalists and residents expressed opposition to the proposed plant.
In December 2014 Bloomberg reported that the plant would cost US$1.7 billion.
According to the Tosyali Holding website (April 2015), the power station has received environmental clearance. A 3 year preliminary licence (Önlisans No ÖN/5260-6/03143) was granted in 2014 and expired 2017.
In 2016 Tosyalı was subsidized 2800 million lira in the form of tax exemptions, and also imported hundreds of millions of dollars worth of tax free machinery.
- Sponsor: Tosyalı Elektrik Enerjisi Üretim Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Parent company: Tosyalı Holding
- Location: Azganlık village, İskenderun district, Hatay province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 36.6971, 36.2042 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Detailed status: Environmental clearance obtained, but not yet licensed
- Gross capacity: 1,200 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2020
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Tosyalı Holding Enerji Yatırımı Yapıyor, Haberler, Oct. 24, 2013.
- Detaylar: Tosyalı İskenderun Termik Santralı, EPDK website, accessed May 2014.
- Tosyalı İskenderun Termik Santrali, Kara Atlas, accessed May 2014.
- Our Facilities, Tosyalı Holding website, accessed May 2014.
- İskenderun Termik Santral İstemiyor!, Dünyalılar, Mar. 26, 2013.
- "Tosyali of Turkey to Spend $3.5 Billion to Grow in Steel, Energy," Bloomberg, Dec 1, 2014
- "History," Tosyali Holding website, accessed April 2015
- "Coal & Climate Change - 2017," Önder Algedik, Aug 2017