U.S.-Canada Smart Borders Accord
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The U.S.-Canada Smart Borders Accord border security agreement signed in 2002 "sets out the U.S.-Canada CIP Framework for Cooperation, which includes several committees looking at a variety of infrastructure protection issues." 
Documents & Press Releases
- "The Canada-U.S. Smart Border Declaration. The Smart Border Declaration," Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, December 12, 2001.
- "Specifics of Secure and Smart Border Action Plan," Office of Homeland Security, January 7, 2002.
- Integrate This! is about challenging the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP), an executive-level pact between the governments and corporate sectors of Canada, the United States and Mexico, which has never been debated publicly or voted on in any of the three countries. There are over 300 initiatives in the SPP aimed at harmonizing North American policies on:
- But media reports often fail to link regulatory changes designed to move the SPP forward back to the broader goal of continental economic and security integration. The goal of the Integrate This! website is to make those links. As well as regular SPP updates, the site is full of reports, interviews and multimedia presentations critical of what's often called the "deep integration" of North America. News updates will be posted here regularly and archived ... The site is updated regularly so visit often, or sign up for regular updates above
- Ambassador Bridge (Detroit, Michigan/Windsor, Ontario) website.
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership website.
- Canada-U.S. Border posted on The Centre for Research and Information on Canada website.
- Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway System brochure.
- New York State Smart Border Coalition website.
- Ontario-Michigan Border Transportation Partnership.
- Pacific NorthWest Economic Region.
Articles & Commentary
- Marcus Stern, "Bush is pressed on guest workers. Meeting with Fox two weeks away," Agricultural Personnel Management Program, University of California at Berkeley, March 9, 2002.
- Alisa Solomon, "Northern Closure. The U.S.-Canada 'Smart Borders' Accord Sells Refugees Down the River," Village Voice, August 28-September 3, 2002.
- Peter Andreas (Brown University), "A Tale of Two Borders: The U.S.-Mexico and U.S.-Canada Lines After 9-11," The Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, San Diego, May 2003.
- "Joint Statement by Canada and the United States on common security, common prosperity: A new partnership in North America," The Embassy of the United States, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, November 30, 2004.
- News Release: "Common Security, Common Prosperity a New Partnership in North America," White House, November 30, 2004.
- Bobby Eberle, "Bush Announces 'New Partnership' With Canada," Talon News (Hawaii Reporter), December 2, 2004.
- "U.S., Canada to Move Ahead With Land Pre-Clearance Pilot Programs," Embassay of the United States, Ottawa, December 17, 2004.
- "Interim National Infrastructure Protection Plan," U.S. Department of Homeland Security, February 2005.
- "Official Comment of the Government of Canada: Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative," Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Government of Canada, Last Updated June 22, 2006.