Uppur power station
Uppur power station is a proposed 1600-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Tamil Nadu, India.
The undated satellite photo below shows the proposed location for the project in Thiruvadanai taluk in Ramanathapuram district, according to the project EIA.
The project is sponsored by Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation and will use supercritical technology. Land necessary for the project (1,200 acres) has been identified. According to TANGEDCO, the project will be set up on tariff-based competitive bidding and is to be commissioned by Dec 2015.
In April 2013 it was reported that the project had completed the Detailed Project Report to seek clearance MoEF. Once the MoEF gave its approval, the process of land acquisition would begin. About 300 acres of government land had been identified, and 600 more acres of private land would be sought. The project would be established under the Build Operate Transfer (BOT) model and 0.4 percent of the project cost would be spent for the benefit of local people, according to company Collector K. Nanthakumar.
According to the TANGEDO website, the budget for the project is Rs 12,778 Crores, and the date of commissioning is November 19, 2019. However, according to the Broad Status report, only Rs 775 Lakhs was spent in FY 2015-16 and only Rs 226 Lakhs in FY 2016-17 through February, indicating that construction has not begun and the project will not be completed in 2019. The foundation stone for the power station was laid in July 2016 and the Boiler Turbine Generator (BTG) contract was handed over to Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) that month. But the project has remained stuck as the developers have been unable to secure the private land it wants for the project.
In October 2017 it was reported that "tender for BOP Packages yet to be awarded." No proposed start date is offered.
The balance of plant (BoP) contract was awarded to Reliance Infrastructure in February 2018.
According to the India Ministry of Power (August 2018), the plant is planned for operation in 2019.
Sponsor: Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation
Location: Uppur, Vadamavur & Thiruppalaikkudi vilages, Thiruvadanai taluk, Ramanathapuram district, Tamil Nadu
Coordinates: 9.545, 78.89666667 (exact)
- Unit 1: 800 MW
- Unit 2: 800 MW
Projected in service: 2019
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Terms of reference, India MoEF, May 28, 2012; EIA, Feb 2014; Environmental clearance, India MoEF, June 18, 2016
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- EIA, TANGEDCO, Feb 2014
- "TN TO FLOAT TENDER FOR TWO PROJECTS," Industry Monitor, January 31, 2012
- D. J. Walter Scott, "Project report on Uppur thermal power plant ready," The Hindu, April 24, 2013
- EIA, Feb 2014
- Environmental clearance, India MoEF, June 18, 2016
- "UPPUR SUPER CRITICAL THERMAL POWER PROJECT (2X800MW)," TANGEDCO, accessed June 2017
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, March 2017
- "No work on Uppur thermal power plant for six months," The Hindu, Feb 7, 2017
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2017
- "Reliance bags Uppur thermal power project," The Hindu, Mar 7, 2018
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, August 2018