Waterberg Coal power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of South Africa|
Waterberg Coal power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station sponsored by Waterberg Coal for Waterberg District, South Africa.
The map below shows Waterberg coal field, the approximate location where the plant would be located, 15 km from the Medupi power station.
In April 2015 Waterberg Coal Company submitted an application to establish a coal-fired independent power station with an initial capacity of 600 MW. It would support power generation for the company's proposed Limpopo-based coal mining projects, and would use the mine's low-grade coal. It would be 5 kms from the Waterberg mines, and 15 km from the Medupi power station. A decision is expected on the company’s application for the plant by 2016.
Project Not Selected in IPP Process
In October 2016, energy minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson announced that Thabametsi power station and Khanyisa power station were the preferred bidders for round one of the country's first Coal baseload Independent Power Producer (CIPP) programme. Under the programme, Khanyisa would begin operation in December 2020 and Thabametsi would begin operation in March 2021. The winning bids were 80c/kWh for Khanyisa and 79c/kWh. The tariff would increase to R1.1c once cost of connection is included.
New coal plants looking unlikely
On 1 September 2017, the Minister of Energy announced that all future IPP programs in the country were on hold until a proper review was done and the government assessed the amount of power capacity needed.
South Africa's draft Integrated Resource Plan for Electricity (IRP), released in August 2018, contains plans for an additional 1000 MW of new coal-fired power on top of under-construction coal plants, namely Khanyisa power station and Thabametsi power station. No other coal plants are listed.
Waterberg Coal mines
The Waterberg Coal Project consists of eight coal tenements totaling nearly 8,000 hectares in Waterberg District, with estimated coal mineral resources of 3.4 billion tonnes. Waterberg Coal is doing feasibility studies to mine this coal for two projects: an export project of up to 4 million tonnes of coal for a minimum of 30 years, and the Eskom Project, to supply of up to 10 million tonnes of coal per annum for a period of 30 years to Eskom for the Majuba power station. The Waterberg coal plant would use surplus or waste coal from the mines. Waterberg Coal and Firestone Energy have a combined 70% holding in the Waterberg Coal Project; the remaining 30% is held by Sekoko Resources.
In August 2016 it was reported that Waterberg was still revising its feasibility studies for the coal mine.
- Sponsor: Waterberg Energy Company
- Parent company: Waterberg Coal Company
- Location: Lephalale, Waterberg District, Limpopo Province, South Africa
- Coordinates: -23.666667, 27.516667 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 600 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Waste coal
- Coal Source: Waterberg coal field
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Waterberg Coal seeking go-ahead for 600 MW power station," Mining Weekly, Apr 2, 2015
- "Thabametsi and Khanyisa take first in SA coal baseload IPP," ESI Africa, 11 October 2016
- "IPP Project," Waterberg Coal Company, accessed May 2017
- "FACTS SHEET, Bid Window 1: Coal Procurement Programme," Department of Energy, October 2016
- "Life After Coal sets record straight on inaccurate statements by Colenso Power," Centre for Environmental Rights, March 20, 2018
- "Life After Coal, Greenpeace Africa slam inclusion of new coal in electricity plan," CER, 28 August 2018
- "Waterberg Coal Project," Waterberg Coal Company, accessed Jan 2015
- "Coal: More than a minor difference," Financial Mail, Aug 19, 2016