|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
WellPoint is the largest health insurer in the U.S. It provides coverage to 34 million customers, primarily under the Blue Cross and Blue Shield name. In 14 states, it is a Blue Cross or BCSB licensee. In other states, it provides coverage under the Unicare name. Wellpoint offers plans such as HMO (Health Maintenance Organization) and PPO (Preferred Provider
Organization) to individuals, employers, and recipients of Medicare and Medicaid. 
Access WellPoint's corporate rap sheet compiled and written by Good Jobs First here.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
WellPoint was a "Director" level sponsor of 2011 American Legislative Exchange Council Annual Conference, which in 2010, equated to $10,000. It announced on March 1, 2013 that it had not attended an ALEC meeting nor supported ALEC financially since the summer of 2011 and had "no current plans to support ALEC or attend any of their meetings," but according to an August 2013 ALEC board document, it terminated its membership on April 22, 2013 and was then "considering giving funds outside of membership."
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
|Key executives and 2006 pay: ||Options
|Larry C. Glasscock, Chairman, Chairman of Exec. Committee||$1,290,000||$9,530,000|
|John S. Watts, Jr., CEO of Commercial & Consumer Bus.||$1,530,000||$3,860,000|
|Joan Herman, CEO of Sr. Specialty & State Sponsored Programs||$1,570,000||$11,150,000|
|Michael A. Stocker, CEO of East Region||$6,260,000||$12,270,000|
|Alice F. Rosenblatt, Chief Actuary||$1,400,000||$10,070,000|
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- Lenox D. Baker, Jr., Also President, Mid-Atlantic Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Ltd.
- Ramiro G. Peru, Also Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Swift Corporation
- George A. Schaefer, Jr., Also Chairman, Fifth Third Bancorp
120 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- WellPoint Profile, Hoovers, accessed September 2007.
- [American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Sponsors, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011]
- WellPoint, WellPoint Statement on American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Participation, corporate statement, March 1, 2013.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC 40th Anniversary Annual Meeting Board Meeting packet, organizational documents, August 6, 2013, released by The Guardian December 3, 2013.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed September 2007.
- WellPoint lobbying expenses, Open Secrets.
- WellPoint Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed September 2007.
- Board of Directors, WellPoint, accessed September 2007.