West Virginia ALEC Politicians
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
For a list of politicians with known ALEC ties, please see ALEC Politicians.
This is a partial list of West Virginia politicians that are known to be involved in, or previously involved in, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). It is a partial list. (If you have additional names, please add them with a citation. The names in this original list were verified as of posting.)
Legislators who have cut ties with ALEC publicly are also listed here.
West Virginia Legislators with ALEC Ties
- Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), ALEC Senate Initiatives
- Sen. Patricia Rucker, State Chair
House of Delegates
- Del. Eric Householder (R-56), ALEC State Chairman and Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force Member 
- Del. Gary Howell (R-49), member of ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force
- Del. Carol Miller (R-15), ALEC Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Member
- Del. John Overington (R-55), ALEC Education Task Force Member
- Del. Kelli Sobonya (R-18)
- Del. Ron Walters (R-32)
- Del. Larry Douglas Kump (R-52), ALEC Civil Justice Task Force Member 
- Rep. Tom Louisos (D-29) 
- Del. Jonathan Miller (R-53)
- Del. Jim Rowe (R) currently Judge, WV 11th Circuit. 
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Senate", organization website, accessed July 8, 2013
- ALEC State Chairs Organizational website, accessed sept 2018
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "ALEC State Chairmen, organization website, accessed April 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, organizational task force membership directory, June 30, 2011, p. 31, obtained and released by Common Cause April 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Natural Resources Task Force as of 6/30/2011, organizational task force directory, June 30, 2011, document obtained and released by Common Cause.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Directory – Full Name and Address, Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Membership Directory, December 2010, obtained and released by Common Cause
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Directory – Full Name and Address, Education Task Force Membership Directory, August 2011, obtained and released by Common Cause
- ALEC, State and Local Legislators Urge Congress to Eliminate State and Local Tax Deduction in Exchange for Pro-Growth Lower Rates, ALEC, October 16, 2017.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Letter to Robert C. Byrd and Nancy Pelosi RE: Federal health reform efforts, June 24, 2009
- organizational member spreadsheet, August 2011, obtained and released by Common Cause
- ALEC 1995 SB
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Letter to Senate Majority Leader Reid, RE: the EPA’s plan to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act, March 10, 2010
- ALEC 1995 SB
- ALEC 1995 SB
- Alison Knezevich, ALEC’s influence in West Virginia, Charleston Gazette, July 21, 2011