Adaptation to climate change
The Bali Action Plan adopted at the conclusion of the COP13 conference on global warming included a commitment to negotiate on four key pillars to a successor agreement to the Kyoto Protocol. One of these four, other than the development of a shared vision, was to "Enhanced action on adaptation" to climate change.:
- "Enhanced action on adaptation" including though:
- (i) "International cooperation to support urgent implementation of adaptation actions, including through vulnerability assessments, prioritization of actions, financial needs assessments, capacity-building and response strategies, integration of adaptation actions into sectoral and national planning, specific projects and programmes, means to incentivize the implementation of adaptation actions, and other ways to enable climate-resilient development and reduce vulnerability of all Parties, taking into account the urgent and immediate needs of developing countries that are particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change, especially the least developed countries and small island developing States, and further taking into account the needs of countries in Africa affected by drought, desertification and floods;"
- (ii) "Risk management and risk reduction strategies, including risk sharing and transfer mechanisms such as insurance"; and
- (iii) "Disaster reduction strategies and means to address loss and damage associated with climate change impacts in developing countries that are particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change; "
The plan also includes a general statement on the need to promote "economic diversification to build resilience" and to encourage an expanded role for multilateral agencies, private, public and NGO groups in supporting adaptation).
The other three key pillars of a successor agreement to the Kyoto Protocol were agreed as being:
- "Enhanced national/international action on mitigation of climate change";
- "Enhanced action on technology development and transfer to support action on mitigation and adaptation"; and
- "Enhanced action on the provision of financial resources and investment to support action on mitigation and adaptation and technology cooperation".
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Bali Action Plan and climate change negotiations
- Bali Road Map
- Accra Climate Change Talks 2008
- Clean Development Mechanism
- Emissions Trading
- Joint Implementation
- Kyoto Protocol
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, "Report of the Conference of the Parties on its thirteenth session, held in Bali from 3 to 15 December 2007: Addendum", United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, March 14, 2008, pages 3-6.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|