Alternatives to Capitalism
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Alternatives to Capitalism
Useful Online Resources
- Brian Martin, "Nonviolent alternatives to capitalism", Chapter 5 of Nonviolence Versus Capitalism (London: War Resisters' International, 2001).
- Paul Burrows, "Is There An Alternative to Capitalism?", The New Colonist, April 2001.
- Geert Dhondt, "Participatory Economics: A Theoretical Alternative to Capitalism", New Formulation, 2 (2), Winter 2004. (Review)
- Michael Albert, "Parecon: Life After Capitalism" (Verso, 2003).
- Dawn Belkin Martinez, "Mental Health After Capitalism", Znet, January 1, 2003.
- Derek Wall, "Babylon and Beyond: The Economics of Anti-Capitalist, Anti-Globalist and Radical Green Movements" (Pluto Press, 2005). (Critical Review)
- Cynthia Kaufman, "Eradicating Capitalism: Reframing, Re-envisioning and Conjuring New Responses", DRAFT July 2008.
- Kay Summer and Harry Halpin, "The crazy before the new: Complexity, critical instability and the end of capitalism", Turbulence, June 2007.
- James Petras, "Reflections on Twenty-First Century Socialism", James Petras' Homepage, August 17, 2008.
- Louis Proyect, "Dueling Utopias," The Unrepentant Marxist, January 26, 2011.
Other Useful Resources
- Martin Buber, "Paths in Utopia" (Beacon Press, 1958). (Review)
- Noam Chomsky, "American Power and the New Mandarins" (Pantheon Books, 1969) (For a discussion of the accomplishments of the social revolution in Spain see Chapter 1)
- Daniel Guérin, "Anarchism: From Theory to Practice", translated by Mary Klopper. (Monthly Review Press, 1970).
- Vernon Richards, "Lessons of the Spanish Revolution (1936-1939). Enlarged ed. (Freedom Press, 1972).
- Cornelius Castoriadis, "Workers’ Councils and the Economics of a Self–Managed Society" (Wooden Shoe, 1984).
- C. George Benello, Robert S. Swann, Shann Turnbull, and Ward Morehouse, "Building Sustainable Communities: Tools and Concepts for Self-reliant Economic Change" (Bootstrap, 1989).
- Michael Albert and Robin Hahnel, "Looking Forward: Participatory Economics for the Twenty–First Century" (South End Press, 1991).
- Cornell International Industrial and Labor Relations Report, "Making Mondragon: The Growth and Dynamics of the Worker Cooperative Complex" (Cornell International Industrial and Labor Relations Report, 1991)
- Murray Bookchin, "From Urbanization to Cities: Toward a New Politics of Citizenship" (Cassell, 1992).
- Jon Elster, "Alternatives to Capitalism", Cambridge University Press, 1989. ISBN 052137815X ISBN 978-0521378154
- Ross V. G. Dobson, "Bringing the Economy Home from the Market" (Black Rose Books, 1993). (Outline of the LETSystem)
- Roy Morrison, "Ecological Democracy" (South End Press, 1995).
- Allen Hammond, “Which World? Scenarios for the 21st Century, Global Destinies, Regional Choices”, (Island Press, 1998)
- Takis Fotopoulos, "Toward an Inclusive Democracy: The Crisis of the Growth Economy and the Need for a New Liberatory Project" (Cassell, 1997). (Reviewed here)
- E. G. Nadeau and David J. Thompson, "Cooperation Works!: How People Are Using Cooperative Action to Rebuild Communities and Revitalize the Economy" (Lone Oak Press, 1997).
- Murray Bookchin and Janet Biehl, "The Politics of Social Ecology: Libertarian Municipalism" (Black Rose Books, 1997). Review
- Daniel Faber, (ed.), "The Struggle for Ecological Democracy: Environmental Justice Movements in the United States" (Guilford Press, 1998).
- Jeremy Brecher, Tim Costello, and Brendan Smith, "Globalization from Below: The Power of Solidarity" (South End Press, 2000).
- David Schweickart, "After Capitalism" (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2002). (Review)
- George Cheney, "Values at Work: Employee Participation Meets Market Pressure at Mondragón" (Cornell University Press, 2002).
- Roger Gottlieb, "Globalization and its Alternatives", Capitalism Nature Socialism, Volume 14 (2), June 2003.
- Dimitrios Roussopoulos and C.George Benello, "The Case for Participatory Democracy: Prospects for a New Society" (Black Rose Books, 2003).
- Cynthia Kaufman, "Ideas for Action: Relevant Theory for Radical Change" (South End Press, 2003).
- Leslie Sklair, "Globalization: Capitalism and its Alternatives", (Oxford University Press, 2004).
- Oscar Olivera and Tom Lewis, "¡Cochabamba! Water War in Bolivia" (South End Press, 2004).
- Gar Alperovitz, "America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy", (Wiley & Sons, 2005). (Review)
- Vanessa Tait, "Poor Workers' Unions: Rebuilding Labor from Below" (South End Press, 2005).
- Vijay Prashad and Teo Ballve (Editors), "Dispatches from Latin America: On the Frontlines Against Neoliberalism" (South End Press, 2006).
- Vandana Shiva (Editor), Carlo Petrini (Contributor), and Michael Pollan (Contributor), "Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed" (South End Press, 2007).
- Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew, "Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide" (South End Press, 2008). (Rhizome Collective)
- John Curl, For All the People: Uncovering the Hidden History of Cooperation, Cooperative Movements, and Communalism in America (PM Press, 2009).
- Eric Mann, Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer (Beacon Press, 2011).
- Iain Boal, Janferie Stone, Michael Watts, and Cal Winslow (eds.), West of Eden: Communes and Utopia in Northern California (PM Press, February 2012).
- Theory in Action
- Interface: A Journal For and About Social Movements
- Turbulence: Ideas for Movement (UK)
- International Journal of Inclusive Democracy (A quarterly journal published by the International Network for Inclusive Democracy)
- Life After Capitalism was a "conference within the conference" at WSF 3 (January 2003) put together and hosted by Z.
- Community Supported Publishing
Importance of Alternative Media
- Edward Herman, "The Importance of a Left Media", Znet, July 5, 1999.
- Edward Herman, "Media Democratization", Znet, April 16, 2003.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Bolivarian Alternative for the Americas
- Life Despite Capitalism 
- Trapese Collective
- There Is No Alternative to Capitalism
- World Social Forum
- The Venus Project
- Worker Coop
- Pryns Hopkins