America Engaged's president is Leonard Leo, a leader in the effort of right-wing groups and funders to advance a conservative judiciary at the federal and state level. Leo is the board chairman of CRC Advisors and the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies.
Ties to the Council for National Policy
- "We’re going to have to understand that judicial confirmations these days are more like political campaigns. We’re going to have to be smart as a movement. No one in this room has probably experienced the kind of transformation that I think we are beginning to see."
|Council for National Policy|
The Council for National Policy (CNP) is a secretive, Christian Right organization of funders and activists founded in 1981 by activist Morton Blackwell, commentator Paul Weyrich, direct-mail pioneer Richard Viguerie, right-wing activist Phyllis Schlafly and Left Behind author Tim LaHaye. Anne Nelson's book about CNP, Shadow Network: Media, Money, and the Secret Hub of the Radical Right, describes how the organization connects "the manpower and media of the Christian right with the finances of Western plutocrats and the strategy of right-wing Republican political operatives.”
CNP membership as of September 2020 is available here.
- Total Revenue: $1,790,500
- Total Expenses: $2,469,749
- Net Assets: $198,643
- Stand Together Chamber of Commerce: $500,000
- Total Revenue: $5,000,000
- Total Expenses: $4,521,145
- Net Assets: $877,892
- Freedom Partners: $3,000,000
- Susan B. Anthony List: $25,000
- Total Revenue: $2,300,000
- Total Expenses: $1,901,123
- Net Assets: $399,037
- Americans for Limited Government: $50,000
- Freedom Partners: $700,000
- National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action: $950,000
- Leonard Leo, President
- Jonathan Burch, Secretary
Board of Directors
As of 2020:
1101 Wilson Boulevard 6th Floor
Arlington, VA 22209
Phone: (540) 341-8808
Articles and Resources
IRS Form 990 Filings
- Americans for Limited Government
- C. Boyden Gray
- Council for National Policy
- CRC Advisors
- Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- Freedom Partners
- Institute for Legislative Action
- Leonard Leo
- National Rifle Association
- Stand Together Chamber of Commerce
- America Engaged, 2019 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, [date blurred], 2020.
- Robert O'Harrow and Shawn Boburg, A conservative activist’s behind-the-scenes campaign to remake the nation’s courts, Washington Post, May 21, 2019.
- America Engaged, 2018 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, October 24, 2019.
- America Engaged, 2017 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, December 31, 2018.