The Arlington Institute
The Arlington Institute (TAI) is a think tank that describes itself as "a 501(c)(3) non-profit research institute that specializes in thinking about global futures and trying to influence rapid, positive change. We encourage systemic, non-linear approaches to planning and believes that effective thinking about the future is enhanced by applying newly emerging technology. Therefore, we strive to be agents of change by creating intellectual frameworks & tool-sets for understanding the transition in which we are living." 
TAI fulfills its mission by:
- Sweeping in real-time thousands of Net and News sources
- Tracking and evaluating major scientific, technological, social, demographic, and environmental forces that drive change
- Conducting future-focused studies and initiatives
- Exploring how trends might crosscut in significant ways
- Cataloging potential 'wildcards' - low probability high impact events
- Helping leadership translate information - from data to scenarios - into mental maps by which to guide decision making and build sophisticated organizational visions
Writing in the Le Monde diplomatique in 2003, Ignacio Ramonet notes that "Petersen, president of the Arlington Institute [which calls itself a "future-oriented research institute"], claims that there will be less privacy but more security. "We will be able to anticipate the future, thanks to the interconnection of all information to do with you. Tomorrow we shall know everything about you"." 
Board of Directors
From TAI's website: 
Former Directors 
Alliances and Partners 
- M-CAM Inc.
- Spiral Dynamics
- Global Business Network
- Garden Atriums
- The Arlington Institute
- 192 Fairfax St.
- Berkeley Springs, WV
- Phone: 304-258-7901
- Fax 304-258-7902
- Website: www.arlingtoninstitute.org
Resources and articles
- Michael Hardy, "Institute aims to discern the future from media analysis", Mass High Tech: The Journal of New England Technology - February 1, 2002.
- Ignacio Ramonet, "[Petersen, president of the Arlington Institute On the record", Le Monde diplomatique, August 2003
- Board of Directors, From Internet Archive, accessed September 1, 2007.
- Alliances and Partners, Arlington Institute, accessed September 1, 2007.