Ayman Zawahiri's paternal grand father was the Al-Azhar's Grand Imam. Another source indicates that his father's uncle, not grandfather, was the grand imam for Cairo's al-Azhar University. The grandfather used to play with him when he was young and strongly influenced him. Many others influenced the jihadi outlook of Ayman Zawahiri like Sayyid Qutb. 
Zawahiri later became a member of the Islamic Medical Association after studying medicine.
Zawahiri was became a member of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood. After that he was jailed and later released.
- Compliation of Jihadi clips showing Zawahiri and others
- Ayman Zawahiri Speaks About Mulla Dadulah
- Al Qaeda's No. 2 in new video July 2007
- Profile: Ayman al-Zawahiri, BBC News, September 27, 2004.
- "An interview with Ayman Al Zawahri's uncle", The Muslim Brotherhood, September 15, 2006.
- Profile: Ayman al-Zawahiri, Council on Foreign Relations, February 2, 2006
- "Zawahri appears in new video", Reuters, 4 July 2007
- Roger Hardy, "Al-Qaeda deputy sets out strategy", BBC News, 5 July 2007
- "w:Ayman Zawahiri", Wikipedia.
- “Malicious Britain and its Indian Slaves” – An Audio Speech by Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri Produced by as-Sahab Media, July 2007
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|