Battle River power station
Battle River power station is a 689-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Forestburg, Flagstaff, Alberta, Canada.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Forestburg, Flagstaff, Alberta, Canada.
The plant is owned and operated by ATCO. Coal is provided by the Forestburg Collieries operated by West Moreland Coal.
In August 2018 the Alberta Utilities Commission approved a plan for ATCO to convert all units at the power station to run on gas instead of coal. ATCO had previously announced that it hoped to make this conversion before current power purchase agreements expired at the end of 2020. As of December 31, 2018 Unit 4 had been converted to be co-firing on coal and gas. ATCO plans to completely convert Unit 5 to gas in 2019.
- Sponsor: ATCO Power
- Parent company: ATCO Power
- Location: Forestburg, Flagstaff, Alberta, Canada
- Coordinates: 52.468889, -112.133889 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1-2: Retired; Units 3-5: Operating
- Gross capacity: Unit 3: 149 MW; Unit 4: 155 MW; Unit 5: 385 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: Units 1-2: 1956-2000; Unit 3: 1969; Unit 4: 1975; Unit 5: 1981
- Coal type: Sub-bituminous
- Coal source: Paintearth and Vesta mines
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- Battle River Generating Station Battle River Generating Station], Wikipedia, accessed January 2019
- Battle River Power Plant Alterations, Alberta Utilities Commission, Aug. 27, 2018
- CANADIAN UTILITIES LIMITED MANAGEMENT’S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS, Canadian Utilities Limited, Dec. 31, 2018
Related SourceWatch Articles
Wikipedia also has an article on Battle River Generation Station (Battle River Generating Station). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License].