Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) was founded in 1994 and "is a research center specialized in the field of human rights.
- "Its main task is to analyze and explain difficulties faced by the process of implementing the law of human rights in the Arab world. It strives to promote human rights in Arab countries through the development of intellectually vigorous and novel approaches conducive to surmounting problems of implementation.
- "The CIHRS enjoys a special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council. It also has an observatory status with the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights. The CIHRS is a member to the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN) and the Human Rights Education Network." 
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies as received funding in the past from the NED.
- President - Kamal Jendoubi
- General Director - Bahey el-din Hassan
- Academic Advisor - Mohammed EL Sayed Said
In 1999 they received a grant for $40,000 from the National Endowment for Democracy: "To publish the quarterly human rights journal, "Ruwaq Arabi". Copies of four Arabic issues of the journal will be distributed free of charge to government officials, policy-makers, universities, human rights organizations, embassies, international organizations, and other NGOs."
Anniversary of U.S. President Obama’s Cairo Speech
"On the occasion of the anniversary of U.S. President Obama’s Cairo Speech and the upcoming elections in Egypt, the North America and Arab Middle East offices of the Heinrich Boell Stiftung invited a delegation of human right activists from the Middle East. The delegation visited Washington, DC from June 28th to July 1st, to bring attention to the human rights situation in their home countries. It was organized in partnership with the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies." 
- Bahey Eldin Hassan, General Director, Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies
- Amal Basha, President, Sister's Arab Forum for Human Rights, Yemen
- Ibrahim Almugaiteeb, Director, Human Rights First Society, Saudi Arabia
- Kamel Jendoubi, Director, Tunisian Committee for the Respect of Human Rights
- Radwan Ziadeh, President, Damascus Center for Human Rights
- Saif Nasrawy, Human rights activist and Journalist, Egypt/Iraq
- Bassem Samir, Executive Director, Egyptian Democratic Academy
- Kamel Laibidi, Tunisian journalist
- Radya Nasrawy, President, Tunisian Association against Torture
Open Discussion with US Assistant Secretary of State
In 2010, "The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) hosted today (October 7) an open discussion between Michael Posner, the US Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, and a number of human rights defenders and representatives from various human rights organizations. The meeting was also attended by a delegation from the American Embassy in Cairo, headed by Ambassador Margret Scobey and a number of Posner’s and Scobey’s colleagues.
"The open discussion was preceded by a 45-minute meeting between Posner and CIHRS Director Bahey El Din Hassan, who are scheduled to meet again for breakfast on Friday morning.
"The discussion, which lasted around 100 minutes...
"The event was attended by: 
- Ahmed Samih – Andalous Institute for Tolerance and Anti-violence Studies;
- Magdy Abd ElHameed – Egyptian Association for Community Participation Enhancement;
- Mohamed Zaree– The Human Rights Association for the Assistance of Prisoners & Arab Penal Reform Organization;
- Mozn Hassan – Nazra for Feminist Studies;
- Hisham Kassem – Publisher and the ex-chair for Egyptian Organization for Human Rights
- Musaad Abu Fagr – Sinai Bedouin human rights defender and blogger.
- Sally Sami – Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies
- Web: http://www.cihrs.org
Resources and articles
- International Freedom of Expression eXchange
- Arab Institute for Human Rights
- Moroccan Organization for Human Rights
- Human Rights Education Associates
- Moataz El Fegiery
- MacArthur Foundation: Human Rights and International Justice, Recent Grants
- Middle East Delegation on Human Rights to Washington DC, Heinrich Boell Stiftung, accessed February 21, 2011.
- Press release: Open Discussion with US Assistant Secretary of State, cihrs, accessed February 9, 2011.