California ALEC Politicians
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
For a list of politicians with known ALEC ties, please see ALEC Politicians.
This is a partial list of California politicians that are known to be involved in, or previously involved in, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). It is a partial list. (If you have additional names, please add them with a citation. The names in this original list were verified as of posting.)
Legislators who have cut ties with ALEC publicly are also listed here.
California Legislators with ALEC Ties
- Rep. Matthew Harper (R-74)
- Sen. Joel Anderson (R-36), State Chairman, Communications and Technology Task Force member and 2011 ALEC State Legislator of the Year
- Rep. Dan Logue (R-3)
- Former Speaker and Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle. 
- Former Rep./Sen. Ray Haynes (R-66) (Senate Minority Whip), former ALEC Chairman in 2000
- Former Rep. Ross Johnson, chaired CA Fair Political Practices Commission, 2007-2010 
- Former Rep. Howard Kaloogian (R-74), former ALEC State Chair
- Former Rep. Rod Pacheco (R-64) (Assembly Minority Leader), listed in "1999 ALEC Leaders in the States" by ALEC
- Sen. Steve Knight (R-21), ALEC member according to July 2013 email to constituent
- Former Sen. John Benoit (R-37)
- Former Sen. Minority Leader Dennis Hollingsworth; Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force
- Former Sen. Bill Leonard, Member CA State Board of Equalization, 2003-2010 
- ALEC, ALEC-FreedomWorks Legislator of the Week, ALEC, May 19, 2017.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Letter to Robert C. Byrd and Nancy Pelosi RE: Federal health reform efforts, June 24, 2009
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Letter to Senate Majority Leader Reid, RE: the EPA’s plan to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act, March 10, 2010
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "ALEC State Chairmen, organization website, accessed April 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Directory – Full Name and Address, Communications and Technology Task Force Membership Directory, August 2011, obtained and released by Common Cause
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Solutions for the States," 38th Annual Meeting agenda, on file with CMD, August 3-6, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Sourcebook, annual organizational publication, 1995
- American Legislative Exchange Council, ’99 ALEC Leaders in the States, organizational document, archived by the Wayback Machine December 8, 2000, accessed November 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, 1999 Form 990, form filed with the IRS and available via Guidestar.org, June 31, 2000
- Office of Senator Steve Knight, Subject: From the Office of Senator Steve Knight, email to consitituent, July 10, 2013.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Directory – Full Name and Address, Energy, Environment and Agriculture Task Force Membership Directory, December 2010, obtained and released by Common Cause