|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Declan J. O'Scanlon Jr. is a Republican member of the New Jersey state Assembly and a member of the Budget and Human Services Committees.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Introduction of ALEC Model "Right to Work Act"
O'Scanlon, along with Amy Handlin, introduced A. 4223 on July 29, 2011. This legislation establishes the “New Jersey Right to Work Act” and prohibits payroll deductions of union dues wages and salaries of public employees. Specifically, this legislation states: "no person in the employ of any employer shall be required as a condition of employment or continuation of employment to: become or remain a member of a labor organization; pay any dues, fees, assessments, or other charges of any kind or amount to a labor organization."
ALEC's “Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act” also prohibits the payroll deduction of membership dues by public employers and thus mirrors A. 4223. Specifically, ALEC's model legislation states: "no dues, fees, assessments or any other automatic payroll deductions by public employers from public employee payroll compensation shall be allowed for transmission to any public employee organization."
Introduction of New Jersey Repeal of Prevailing Wage Act
O'Scanlon introduced A. 3505 on Nov. 22, 2010. Known as the “New Jersey Prevailing Wage Act,” the bill calls for a repeal of all laws providing for the payment of prevailing wage in the state. Like its model cousin, the ALEC Model "Prevailing Wage Repeal Act," which calls for "any and all prevailing wage laws [to be] repealed."
Ties to Americans for Prosperity
O'Scanlon spoke at an Americans for Prosperity "Taxpayer Rally" in from of the New Jersey state capital building in May 28. In that speech, he railed about "big spending," "big government," and "out of control taxes." Americans for Prosperity is a front group funded by the Koch Family Foundations.
- "Assemblyman Declan J. O'Scanlon Jr. (R)." New Jersey State Legislature. NJLeg.State.NJ.US. Accessed July 26, 2011.
- "Assembly No. 4223." New Jersey State Legislature. NJLeg.State.NJ.US. Accessed July 26, 2011.
- Public_Employer_Payroll_Deduction_Policy_Act_Exposed.pdf "Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act Exposed." ALEC Exposed. ALECExposed.org. Center for Media and Democracy. Accessed July 26, 2011.
- , "Assembly, No. 3505."] New Jersey State Legislature. NJLeg.State.NJ.US. Accessed July 26, 2011.
- , "Prevailing Wage Repeal Act Exposed." ALEC Exposed. ALECExposed.org. Center for Media and Democracy. Accessed July 26, 2011.