Democracy Now! is a daily, independent, global radio and television news hour co-hosted by Amy Goodman, Juan González and Nermeen Shaikh. The show is broadcast on "Pacifica, National Public Radio (NPR), community, college and satellite radio stations; on Public Broadcast System (PBS), public, community and satellite TV; and viewed by millions of people online each day." According to the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, "Democracy Now! represented a significant departure for Pacifica radio" because Amy Goodman "aggressively courted the participation of government officials, corporate spokespersons, and conservative ideologues" instead of only inviting "prominent leftists." The station presents "a diversity of voices speaking for themselves, providing a unique and sometimes provocative perspective on global events."
- 1 News and Controversy
- 2 Criticism
- 3 Core Financials
- 4 Personel
- 5 Contact Information
- 6 Articles and Resources
- 7 External links
- 8 Related Sourcewatch articles
- 9 References
News and Controversy
Coverage of North Dakota Access Pipeline Protests
"Over the spring and summer of 2016, Democracy Now! was one of the few media outlets to cover a growing protest encampment on and around the Standing Rock Sioux reservation in North Dakota... [It] filmed exclusive footage of pipeline company guards using pepper spray against Native Americans and unleashing attack dogs, one of which could be seen in the video with blood dripping from its nose and mouth. Democracy Now!’s report went viral online, attracting more than 14 million views on Facebook alone, and was rebroadcast on dozens of outlets around the globe, drawing the world’s attention to this unprecedented movement of indigenous people standing up to government and corporate interests."
Democracy Now! Employees Arrested at Republican National Convention
At the 2008 Republican National Convention protests, Democracy Now! employees Sharif Abdel Kouddous and Nicole Salazar were arrested and Amy Goodman was subsequently arrested after questioning the arrest of her colleagues. "Videos of these arrests went viral, and Democracy Now! producers filed a federal lawsuit against the St. Paul and Minneapolis Police Departments and the U.S. Secret Service challenging the police crackdown on journalists."
- Muhammad Ahman, Whatever Happened to "Democracy Now?, Counterpunch, June 11, 2008, accessed August 29, 2019.
- Charles Davis, The Exploited Laborers of the Liberal Media, VICE, December 2, 2013, accessed August 29, 2019.
- Amy Garrison, Peace Activists Confront Amy Goodman on Biased Syria Coverage, Black Agenda Report, May 17, 2017, accessed August 29, 2019.
- Total Revenue: $11,418,315
- Total Expenses: $7,927,999
- Net Assets: $26,911,684
- Total Revenue: $10,806,047
- Total Expenses: $7,100,320
- Net Assets: $23,561,761
- Total Revenue: $8,158,144
- Total Expenses: $6,263,707
- Net Assets: $19,923,227
- Total Revenue: $6,674,958
- Total Expenses: $6,047,287
- Net Assets: $18,030,309
As of August 2019:
Hosts and Correspondents
- Amy Goodman, Host and Executive Producer
- Juan González, Co-Host
- Nermeen Shaikh, Producer and Co-Host
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous, Correspondent
- Renée Feltz, Correspondent
Democracy Now! en Español
- Clara Ibarra
- Igor Moreno Unanua, Assistant Editor
- Miriam Barnard, Director of Finance and Operations
- Mike Burke, News Director
- Erin Dooley, Development Director
- Simin Farkhondeh, Education Director
- Ishmael N. Daro, Digital Editor
- Neil Shibata, Transcript Editor
- Sam Alcoff, TV Producer
- Deena Guzder, News Producer
- John Hamilton, TV Producer
- Robby Karran, TV Producer
- Charina Nadura, TV Producer
- Libby Rainey, News Producer
- Carla Wills, News Producer
- Tami Hamada Woronoff, News Producer
- Julie Crosby, General Manager
- Jahmaiah Lewis, Development Manager
- Isis Phillips, Financial Manager
- Brendan Allen, Archivist
- Angie Karran, Station Relations
- Denis Moynihan, Special Projects
87 Lafayette St., Ground Floor
New York, NY 10013
PO Box 693
New York, NY 10013
Articles and Resources
IRS Form 990 Filings
- Lizzy Ratner, "Amy Goodman's 'Empire': How a prospective biochemist became a muckraker and champion of media reform", The Nation, May 6, 2005.
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Democracy Now! About Democracy Now!, "Democracy Now!", accessed August 29, 2019.
- Mathew Lasar, Pacifica Radio, Encyclopaedia Brittanica, accessed August 29, 2019.
- Democracy Now!, History & Highlights, organizational website, accessed August 29, 2019.
- Democracy Now Productions, 2017 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed November 9, 2018.
- Democracy Now Productions, 2016 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed August 5, 2019.
- Democracy Now Productions, 2015 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed August 5, 2019.
- Democracy Now Productions, 2014 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed August 5, 2019.
- Democracy Now!, Staff, organizational website, accessed August 29, 2019.