This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
Its stated purpose in its Form 990 annual return to the Internal Revenue Sevice makes clear that its focus is primarily promotional. "Production and distribution of information and educational printed material designed to help restore public confidence in forestry and to advance public understanding and support," it states.
It primary project is the website and Evergreen Magazine which it describes as covering "issues and events impacting forests, forest communities and the forest products industry." It states that the magazine was first launched in 1986 and the foundation established three years later.
|Documents Contained at the Anti-Environmental Archives|
Documents written by or referencing this person or organization are contained in the Anti-Environmental Archive, launched by Greenpeace on Earth Day, 2015. The archive contains 3,500 documents, some 27,000 pages, covering 350 organizations and individuals. The current archive includes mainly documents collected in the late 1980s through the early 2000s by The Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research (CLEAR), an organization that tracked the rise of the so called "Wise Use" movement in the 1990s during the Clinton presidency. Access the index to the Anti-Environmental Archives here.
- James Peterson, Executive Director. In 2003, the groups IRS return states that Peterson was paid $166,000.
On its website the foundation states that its annual budget "ranges from $250,000 to $500,000"  which comes from "Evergreen Foundation members and other public and private sector organizations that share our commitment to science-based forestry and forest policy."
"Boise Cascade Corporation, Potlatch, Westvaco and Mead contribute to our work, as do Caterpillar and Timberjack, but most of our support still comes from smaller companies," it states. 
Board of Directors
- Mack Brown, Board President; Chip Manager, Roseburg Forest Products, Roseburg, Oregon.
- Sharla Moffett-Beall, Board Secretary-Treasurer; Professional Staff, U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, Washington, D.C.
- Milton Cole, Cole Hardwood, Inc., Logansport, Indiana
- Russ McKinley, Timberlands Manager, Boise Cascade Corporation, Medford, Oregon
- John Manz, Forest Products Operations/Management Consultant - Seeley Lake, MT.; retired Director of Applied Technology for Forest and Woods Operations, Weyerhaeuser Co.
- Steve Mealey, Ph.D., Wildlife Biology, retired, U.S. Forest Service
- Greg Miller, Oregon Government Affairs Manager, Weyerhaeuser, Salem, Oregon
- Troy Reinhart, General Manager, Semi Custom Operations, MasterBrand Cabinets, Jasper, Indiana.
- Con Schallau, PhD, Forest Economist, Mt. Pleasant, Utah.
- Robert F. Smith (Bob Smith), U.S. Congress, Oregon (ret.), Smith-West Company, Medford, Oregon
- Mike Sullivan, Corporate Communications Manager, Potlatch Corporation, Spokane, Washington
- Bruce Vincent, Executive Director, Communities for a Great Northwest, Libby, Montana
- Rikki Wellman, Executive Director, Pacific Logging Congress, Maple Valley, WA; Executive Director, Oregon Logging Conference, Eugene, OR.
- Tim White, Logging Consultant, Woodstock, Ontario, Canada.
P.O. Box 1290, Bigfork, MT. 59911
Tel: (406) 837-0966
Fax: (406) 837-1385
Email: jim AT evergreenmagazine.com
Articles and Resources
- Evergreen Foundation, "the Evergreen Foundation", Evergreen Foundations website, accessed August 2008.
- Evergreen Foundation, Form 990: 2003, November 2004, page 2. (Pdf)
- Evergreen Foundation, <http://www.evergreenmagazine.com/index2.html "The Evergreen Foundation"], Evergreen Foundation website, accessed August 2008.