U.S. Foreign Service
(Redirected from Foreign Service)Jump to navigation Jump to search
The U.S. Foreign Service falls within the U.S. Department of State.
Foreign service began as diplomatic service but has "evolved into a small and narrowly specialized corps, separate from the consular service, which actively promoted American business, particularly shipping, around the world," according to the Council on Diplomacy & International Affairs web site.
For more background, history, and information, read the copyrighted article by Karen Krebsbach, the editor of Foreign Service Journal.
- Foreign Service Act of 1980, Public Law 96-465; Excerpt from Legislation on Foreign Affairs Through 1996.
- "As part of it's effort to develop a more diverse Foreign Service, the State Department has reestablished the Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program (FAFP)." 
- U.S. Department of State Recruitment. Self-Test: Is the Foreign Service Right for Me?.
Training & Schools
"A number of universities offer specific programs which prepare students for a career in the foreign service. These schools include:
- American University's [School of International Service] (DC)
- Brigham Young University's David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies
- Brookings Institute's Foreign Policy Studies
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs (NYC)
- Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service (DC)
- George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs(DC)
- Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government (Cambridge, MA)
- Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University (DC)
- Joint Military Intelligence College at the Defense Intelligence Agency
- Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs (Princeton, NJ)
- The Maxwell School at Syracuse University's Global Affairs Institute (Syracuse, NY)
- Tufts University's Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy (Medford, MA)
- Vienna School of International Studies, aka Vienna Diplomatic Academy
Related SourceWatch Resources
- American Foreign Service Association 
- George Soros/Soros Foundations/Open Society Institute
- Peace Corps
- Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers
- think tank
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)