Forest Stewardship Council
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) "is an international organization that brings people together to find solutions which promote responsible stewardship of the world’s forests."  It was formed in 1993 and their first executive director was Tim Synnott.  In 1997 they received the J. Paul Getty Wildlife Conservation Prize.
In 2004 Patrick Bond noted that: "in South Africa, about four out of every five hectares under plantation have won FSC certification, even though they are run by uncaring corporations as well as by the apartheid-era national timber company, which has already failed in multiple privatisation attempts...
"The FSC is also under attack by the World Rainforest Movement in Thailand and Brazil. As profiled in the activists’ 2003 book, Certifying the Uncertifiable, the FSC appears a scam operation, as do so many of the international bodies established to regulate environmentally-sensitive activities. Owen intends asking the visitors, ‘Can you people really facilitate the drastic changes needed within the industry, or are you just a way to make the forest lie pay?’"  also see
- Andre de Freitas, Executive Director
Accessed April 2012: 
- Michael Conroy - chair
- Margareta Renström
- Ana R. Young
- Mario Abreu
- Larry Joseph
- Jaime Levy
- Wang Xiaoping
- Pedro González Chaverri
- Roberto Waack
Accessed February 2008: 
- Roberto Waack - Chairperson - Orsa Florestal, Brazil
- Eric Palola - Vice-Chairperson - National Wildlife Federation, United States
- Jaime Levy - Vice-Chairperson - ALTROPICO Fundación Alternativas para el Desarrollo Sostenible en el Tropico, Ecuador
- Chris van der Goot - Treasurer - Ecohout Foundation, The Netherlands
- Mario Abreu - Tetra Pak International, Sweden
- Alan Knight - Individual, United Kingdom
- Cristian Vallejos - Asociación para la Conservación de la Cuenca Amazónica (ACCA), Peru
- Kokou Kouami - Individual, Togo
- Luis Astorga - Agrupación Ingenieros Forestales por el Bosque Nativo, Chile
- Glen Barry, "EARTH MEANDERS: The Great Rainforest Heist: How environmental groups gone bad greenwash logging Earth’s last primary old forests", Ecological Internet, April 16, 2012.
FSC International Center
Phone: ++ 49 (228) 367 66 0
Fax: ++ 49 (228) 367 66 30
E-mail: fsc AT fsc.org
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- About, Forest Stewardship Council, accessed February 19, 2008.
- History, Forest Stewardship Council, accessed February 19, 2008.
- Patrick Bond, "Fake Forests, Extractive Industries And Elusive Aids Medicines", Znet, February 28, 2004.
- Forest Stewardship Council Board, organizational web page, accessed April 16, 2012.
- Directors, Forest Stewardship Council, accessed February 19, 2008.
- Heath E. Combs, "A key question: Is it green enough?" Furniture Today, May 27, 2008.
- Press release, "Market pressure forces Canadian company to announce greener logging," Greenpeace via CNW Telbec, August 28, 2008.