George McGovern United Nations Global Ambassador on World Hunger.
"A war hero, 22-year U.S. Congressman and presidential candidate, George McGovern will long be remembered for his courage in speaking out against U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, his friendship and respect for the common man, and his work on behalf of American farmers and hungry children throughout the world.
"In 1956 McGovern was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives where he served until 1960 when President John F. Kennedy named him the first director of the Food for Peace Program and Special Assistant to the President. In this position he made the first offer of U.S. assistance that paved the way for the establishment of the World Food Programme. As a U.S. senator he served on the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and the Joint Economic Committee. He was chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs, which developed the highly regarded "Dietary Goals for the American People." In 1972, McGovern was the Democratic Party nominee for President.
"McGovern has continued a life of public service as an author, lecturer and visiting professor. He served as president of the Middle East Policy Council from 1991 to 1998, when he was appointed ambassador to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. In 2000 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and in 2002 he was appointed the first United Nations global ambassador on world hunger.
"McGovern is a native of South Dakota and a graduate of Dakota Wesleyan University where he was also a history professor. During World War II he was a B-24 bomber pilot based in Cerignola, Italy. He flew 35 missions and was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross." 
- Former President, Americans for Democratic Action (1976–1978) 
- Advisory Board, Common Good
- Advisory Board, Partners for Peace
- Trustee, Trees for Life International 
- Founding Board, Project Vote Smart 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- George McGovern, McGovern Center Conference, accessed July 20, 2007.
- History, Americans for Democratic Action, accessed April 19, 2010.
- Trustees, Trees for Life International, accessed August 17, 2008.
- Project Vote Smart's Founding & Executive Board Member, Project Vote Smart, accessed November 12, 2008.