Hitachinaka Kyodo power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Japan and coal.|
Hitachinaka Kyodo power station is a proposed 650-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tokai-mura, Naka-gun, Ibaraki, Japan.
The undated satellite photo below shows the Hitachinaka Thermal Power Station in Tokai-mura, Japan. The proposed plant would be built at this site.
Background on Plant
In 2013 Chubu Electric Power Company said it plans to found a joint special purpose company with Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) to build and operate a 600 MW coal-fired power plant, to be constructed at TEPCO's 2,000 MW Hitachinaka Thermal Power Station.
In December 2013 the two companies announced that they had agreed to form the Hitachinaka Generation Company with Chubu holding a 96.55% stake in the company and TEPCO 3.45%. In its media release the company stated the proposed project would have an installed capacity of 650MW, with 600MW sent out to the grid. The projected commissioning date is 2020-2021.
In September 2018 the Kiko Network listed the plant's commissioning date as 2020.
- Sponsor: Hitachinaka Generation Company
- Parent company: JERA (Chubu Electric Power, TEPCO Fuel & Power)
- Location: Tokai-mura, Naka-gun, Ibaraki, Japan
- Coordinates: 36.436820663263, 140.61409950256 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 650 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2020
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Chubu Electric, TEPCO to jointly build coal power plant," Global Post, May 21, 2013.
- "「株式会社常陸那珂ジェネレーション」の設立について" (Establishment of “Hitachinaka Generation Co., Inc.), Media Release, December 6, 2013.
- "Construction plans for Japan's coal power stations," Reuters, Dec 11, 2014.
- Chisaki Watanabe, "Japan Minister Endorses Two Coal-Power Plants North of Tokyo," Bloomberg, May 27, 2016
- "Hitachinaka Kyodo No.1 / Hitachinaka Generation / Tokai village, Ibaraki pref.," Kiko Network, accessed Feb 2017
- Japan Coal Phase-Out, Kiko Network, November 2018