Independent Media Institute
The Independent Media Institute
In addition to AlterNet, IMI has three other programs: AlterNet Syndication, a content service for the independent press; WireTap, an online magazine for socially conscious youth; and the SPIN Project, which trains grassroots and advocacy groups in communication skills.
Don Hazen is executive director of the Independent Media Institute and executive editor of AlterNet.
Funding for AlterNet comes from private foundations, individual donors, and sales of AlterNet stories through the Syndication service. Funding for SPIN comes from private foundations and from fees for service, and WireTap is funded by private foundations.
This is a partial list taken from the IMI website.
2004 Foundation Supporters of IMI include:
- Akonadi Foundation
- Albert A. List Foundation
- Arca Foundation
- Bioneers Foundation
- Ford Foundation
- French American Charitable Trust
- Glaser Progress Foundation
- Jessie Smith Noyes Foundation
- Marguerite Casey Foundation
- McKay Foundation
- Nathan Cummings Foundation
- New World Fund
- Open Society Institute
- Richard and Rhoda Goldman Fund
- Schumann Center for Media and Democracy
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- Solidago Foundation
- Surdna Foundation
- The Tides Foundation (various funds)
- Universalist Unitarian Veatch Program at Shelter Rock
- Wallace Global Fund
- Women's Foundation
- Working Assets Grantmaking Fund of the Tides Foundation
Board of Directors (2017) 
- Christine Triano, Chair - Writer, producer and psychotherapist
- Elizabeth Hines, Vice Chair - Former Director of Communications, The White House Project
- Larry Smith, Secretary - Editor and Journalist, SMITH Magazine
- Sara Frankel, Treasurer - Business Consultant
- Colin Greer - President, New World Foundation
- Heeter Kalan - Senior Program Officer, New World Foundation
- Robert Greenwald - Film Producer and Director, Brave New Films
Resources and articles
- Alternet Independent Media Institute, organizational web page, accessed August 23, 2017.